Posts by patty7276

you guys are sooo helpful--wish i had consulted you before i did the cake! haha. have learned a lot from you all. the good news is i delivered the cake and it made it without collapsing. was also lucky in that when i got there the cake table was up against a wall so that the cake was only viewed "straight on". all of the leaning was to the back and you actually couldn't tell from a front view. so they were happy and i was greatly relieved! thanks again.
you know, the odd thing is i have used that recipe many times. but for some reason it felt "softer" than usual. i think that's why the cakes kept sticking when removed from the pan. i'm convinced i need to search for a new, firmer recipe. i used to use a good "scratch" recipe but my familykept telling me that mixes tasted better because they were lighter. so that's when i went to the "doctored" mix, trying to make it a little more dense. i think my cookie stick...
thank you, k8. i needed that hug! and i will check out that single plate system and info on doweling. will try to focus on learning from this one and improving. patty
Am feeling rather disappointed this a.m. I am somewhere between doing cakes as a hobby and thinking of doing them as a business. Was asked to do a bridal shower cake and I wanted to make a good impression, to be my best cake ever. It was a three tiered fondant covered cake . I decorated the board with a royal icing stencil, made gumpaste bows ahead of time. All of that looked great. Problems started with the cake itself. Used DH butter recipe and the "extended...
i plan to try your method for making the bow topper today--it seems like such a good way to do it and your bows are really nice. my bow will top a 6 inch cake. how wide and how long should i cut my strips? thank you, patty
i plan to try your method for making the bow topper today--it seems like such a good way to do it and your bows are really nice. my bow will top a 6 inch cake. how wide and how long should i cut my strips? thank you, patty
oh my--you guys are unbelievable! there are a lot of office fans on cake central! thank you for these great ideas. feel free to keep them coming. still thinking about this one. would love to do the dwight bobblehead but am afraid he's beyond my skill level. someone mentioned putting my daughter's picture on a mug--don't know how to do that. thanks again. patty
would like to do a birthday cake for my daughter who loves the tv show "the office'. not coming up with any good ideas--can anyone help me on this one? thank you
i am doing a last minute halloween cake. wanted to work with the "neon green and neon purple" you see in halloween decorations. would like to use a gel paste that i could use to paint the fondant. do such colors exist or can one mix them? thank you, patty
just a thought on this. satinice makes a red red fondant. i wonder if you could add color to it to get the deeper red you want?