Posts by Suzycakes

This is long so bear with me! I did it in Sept 09 and would do it all over again! We had a 5 tier - 18,15,12,9,6 with the 15 and 9 tiers being 3 layers of cake for 6" tall tiers all iced and decorated in buttercream. If I did do it over again - I would simplify the design and just decorate with fresh flowers. But this is my only daughter - so I was happy to do what she wanted. I also made the grooms cake which was a replica of an old family barn covered in fondant...
I too love the Mat! I bought one at SweetWise while attending a class there. I also had the big blue mat referred to above and the MAT is much better and easier to handle - just the fact that you can see where the fondant is - is a plus!I am hoping they will start selling smaller pieces of the Mat for the little jobs - but until then - I cut up my old big blue mat and am using it for all of my small fondant/gumpaste work - instead of wasting wax paper.
I have a rubbermaid container that is about 14"x24"x8" or so that I keep mine in. The 4.5 oz bottles of Americolor have just enough room to stand up. Makes for easy cleanup whenever I find the time to stop and do it!
There is not a picture posted.
I would think the 'gold' coloring from Americolor would be perfect for the Mizzou gold. And it doesn't take a lot of the gel to get the gold color either.HTHSuze
Oh - I could so do what you have decided to do! That sounds like a dream job to me too!Plus is does leave you the flexibility to make and create cakes as you want to.Recipes - of course your Canada and I'm the bootheel of Missouri - but the first things that popped in my mind are:SpaghettiKettle BeefChicken & DumplingsChicken StripsHamburger Casseroleand of course the regular Chili and soup recipes too.Good luck and please keep us updated on your progress and success!
I made and decorated my daughters wedding cake last September (2009) along with a grooms cake the resembled a barn and silos - which I still don't have posted to CC yet so don't waste your time looking for them - HA! I will get caught up one of these days!I made a 5 tier round wedding cake - 18, 15, 12, 9, 6 and the grooms cake was made from 3 half sheets and 9 - 6" round cakes.I assembled and decorated the grooms cake on Wednesday; it was covered in fondant and I parked...
I totally agree with live2create! I would jump on that order in a heartbeat. It all comes down to where you live and what your customers will pay. I have seen decorators on CC say they charge the same price for sheetcakes as they do wedding cake -- there is no way I would ever get an order for a sheetcake if I charged that here in SE Missouri! Of course - lots of bakers refuse to make a sheetcake to start with -- but then again - here in SE Missouri that is the norm. ...
Only the last 2 weeks of July are slow for me. The first 3 are as full as I allow. The schedule for the last 2 weeks is subject to change at any moment - although right now I would be thrilled with a slow down.Suze
Well my customers did NOT get the memo that orders are suppose to be slow in July and/or the 4th!! LOL!I have decorated 6 cakes between last night and tonight with one of them being 3 half sheets side by side.Mollina (my new assistant ) was here helping the whole way. She baked off 8 dozen cuppies tonight; figured out the stripe the bag technique and iced the cutest red/white/blue cuppies! Plus she helped smooth icing and had already made a ton of flowers for the cakes...