Posts by sjlarby

I will often use the straws from Starbucks. I find them to be thick and strong enough, but i would not use them on a really heavy or tall cake. I also often use the Wilton decorator preferred smooth edge plates and pillars. You do have to cut the pillars down which is not easy, but they seem to work well. I also like that I can get them at Wal-mart, Hobby Lobby, or Michaels. I also do not transport my cakes already tiered. I stack them at the venue, which makes me...
I made a martini cake once and I used one of those giant martini glasses from Wal-Mart (I believe they also have them at Michaels). I covered the inside of the glass in fondant. Than filled the glass with buttercream, a 6" round cake, buttercream, an 8" round cake, buttercream and a layer of fondant. It was one of the easiest cakes I have ever done, and it looked adorable. I wish I had a picture. It looked similar to this cake. ...
I just made one for this past Monday, and I cut through just the "top" first. I cut the slices in pie shapes. Then with the bottom I also cut them into pie shape slices. I will say that I used the Wilton heating core for the bottom part of the cupcake because i heard it took a while to bake. It worked great plus i had a hollowed out center that i was able to fill with icing. It was yummy.
I think it would work. I know a lot of bakers who mix sizes like that. I am personally to OCD and symmetrical of a person to want to do that, but I have seen it a lot. here is a pic.
i use it all the time and love it!!! it has brought me some frustration, though. usually my frustration came about when i had a cake covered in modeling chocolate and it is 98 degrees outside. If it gets hot for even a second it just starts to get so soft and almost melty. I made a bow with it once that was half modeling chocolate half gumpaste and it went flat in the heat (it was outside for 45 seconds from the car to the building). I was able to stuff it with tissue...
I have grown to love this show since they put it between the Simpsons. If you go to the Fox website they have pictures and bios of the show. I think a cake to look like they are in their alley would be great. It is a thing they do in every show. All the guys hang out in the alley with their beer and talk about their day. I promise if you watch just one episode you will understand. In fact on the website that is what they show. What inspires me would be to do a 9x13...
The judging and everything is sunday afternoon. Do most of you want to meet up around then, or perhaps it should something that we wear throughout the weekend and if we run into some then GREAT!
What a good husband. I am very spoiled living in Oklahoma already. So are we wearing ribbons?
I will be there and competing i am very excited. Cakesbyallison...I have no idea why you are nervous your cakes are great!
So I am notorious for leaving ingredients out of my cakes by accident. I have forgotten the vanilla, the eggs, the salt, and now.....The Baking Soda. After everytime I do it "I say not again. I am going to be more careful next time, etc." Now I need your opinions...1. I baked Collette Peter's heavenly white cake and left out the baking soda. I made one batch and baked it all in a 14" square pan. I knew it was going to be a thinner cake but that is what i was going...