Posts by srmaxwell

Just make sure that the flat are of your brim (the center part) is large enough to have some flat area 'clearance' where you can then set the cake on top of it. If the second layer cake sits on any part of the curved brim the pressure will force it down and probably break it. I made the brim ahead of time, measured to make sure there was plenty of flat area for the top cake to sit on, then once the brim was hard i put the second layer in from the front using a spatula...
just add some gumpaste and set it out to harden. I add quite a bit so the texture changes almost immediately. i set it on the table in front of a small fan overnight and it is mostly hard in the morning. DON"T try the oven light method posted somewhere on cake central for hardening faster. It may work on Fondant but it turned my MMF into a puffy toasted marsmallow!
All good advice. I am still dreading it though. I don't think I am cut out for wedding cakes. I start worrying weeks ahead of time. I figure these girls have been planning this wedding since they were about 5 years old and any mistake on the cakeis going to be life ruining!! Mensch, is that device used for buttercream or creating fondant strings??
All good advice. I am still dreading it though. I don't think I am cut out for wedding cakes. I start worrying weeks ahead of time. I figure these girls have been planning this wedding since they were about 5 years old and any mistake on the cakeis going to be life ruining!! Mensch, is that device used for buttercream or creating fondant strings??
I just got a cake order for a fondant covered wedding cake. Fine. Three tiers with little flowers on the edges. Fine. BUT it also has double rows of those little drop strings all the way around and I haven't done a single one of those since my first Wilton Class probably 6 or more years ago. There is a reason I haven't done them and that is because I was not very good at them. They never quite had the right drape AND they seemed to break when they dried. Now I have...
one layer at a time!
Theresa50 I don't know how many small ones it would be. I do, when making a larger batch, use a 1 pound bag of either large or mini marshmallows with 3 tablespoons of water and microwave exactly 2.5 minutes and either the large or small works beautifully. Don't overmicrowave or it gets all weird and stretch and impossible to use. They won't be completely melted but you stir with a wooden spoon until they liquify and it works great.
here is another house i did. simpler because it doesn't have the back piece on it.http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=23153
honestly. i hate that 3-d house pan. it is too tall and narrow and can be really hard to get it to stand uphttp://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=20938. i stacked 3 square cakes together. Then cut down at an angle to form the room. I used a flat slit tip like you use for basketweaving and started at the bottom and went all the way around to form the shingles and then stuck a fondant roof on top that I scratched shingles in with a...
start with a triple chocolate fudge mix I think it is called. Any grocery store should have it. If not, get the chocolate fudge one. Add 1 cup milk, one handful chocolate chips, 3 eggs, a little vanilla and 1/2 cup oil. Yummy, chocolatey and firm enough to hold up well.