Posts by ILoveBaking

Van harte gefeliciteerd! Dat was erg indrukwekkend! (translation: Congratulations. That's very impressive!)ILoveBaking
Thank you all for your responses. I'll have to remember your suggestions next time I go to Detroit and/or Toronto (as I'm already back from there). Greektown in Detroit was great. I happened to walk by Astoria and looked inside and simply had to try something. It was hard to choose but I decided to pick something Greek. Bought some Kourabiedes (almond/butter cookies). Out of this world, just melts in your mouth. Also bought some Pecan baskets (pecans in sheets of phyllo...
Hi everyone,I will be visiting downtown Detroit and downtown Toronto (Canada) next week and I was wondering if any of you (perhaps residents or tourists) had any recommendations for must-have tasty desserts (can be anything) there? Thanks in advance,ILoveBaking
Thanks for the tip. I very much appreciate it. I'll let you all know how it went. And post a picture of the result.Thanks again to everyone for replying so quickly.
Thank you all for your responses. I was at Michaels today (buying brown) and never thought of looking for ivory coloring. I'll have to check next time I'm there.ge978, your cake looks amazing. Would you say you used more yellow than brown or vice versa? Thanks for sharing your experience with yellow + brown to make ivory.
Hi everyone,I like making the Wilton Buttercream frosting. As you know, it creates a nice white frosting. For my friend's bridal shower cake I need to make it ivory-colored. I just bought yellow and brown Wilton coloring. Has anyone ever made ivory-colored frosting without using butter? Would adding yellow and/or brown coloring do the trick?Thank you,Hanaa
Thank you for all your tips and ideas. I will definitely apply them on my next tiered cake (which is coming up pretty soon here).For what it's worth. The theory behind making the dowels a little longer is for easy removal of the top cake. Also, I had this fear that if the cakes "touched", the frosting on the bottom cake would bulge in the area around the edge of the top cake. I guess that was an unnecessary fear.Thanks again!
Thank you Right! The striped clown from class is what gave me this idea.
This is my first tiered cake. It's a practice cake (I took it to work). My friend wants me to make her a bridal shower cake. The bottom cake is a 2 layer 12" white vanilla cake. The top cake is a 2 layer 8" caramel cake. I filled both cakes with whipped vanilla pudding, very nice and light. I used Wilton's BC frosting for the icing and the decorations. This was the first time I painted the inside of my piping bag with 2 different colors. I remember the instructor showing...
Thank you both very much for the tips. I appreciate it!!!Hanaa