Posts by ttatummm

I've always used transfat free shortening, though I use Smart Balance rather than Crisco. It has always worked well. The only thing I ever notice was that is was ever so slightly more sensitive to heat. So when I made roses, let say, I would have to throw my icing bag in the frig now and again.On the up side, I thought the frosting tasted much better. I tasted Crisco based frosting of folks that I took cake classes with and their icing left a coating on the roof of my...
Do you remember what qualifications they have for wholesale customers? Can you get their "wholesale" price if you are a bakery or is that just for folks reselling their cutters. It doesn't say on their site.Tammy
I think there is a typo here -- A stick of butter is 1/2 cup there is 2 cups in 1lb.Tammy
I've found that many cookie recipes contain to much butter. I prefer the taste with butter over shortening so I just reduce the butter until the cookies are the way I like them.My CC recipe is almost like Alton Brown's Chewy CC's but I only use 6 oz of butter instead of 8 and I don't add any milk. They come out nice and thick and chewy.Tammy
Thanks Jan & Neni. I've made the cakes. The recipe I used was supposed to make a 9x13. I made an 8 & 6 inch round glad I did, I think I could have made just a tall 8 inch. Not sure how thin this cake is traditionally but this recipe (which seems to be the most common one out there) would make a very thin 9x13.I didn't torte the rounds they seemed soak up the milk quite readily .I still have to frost them and I haven't decided whether to use whipped cream or make a...
After doing some more research it looks like I can take the cake out of the pan and tort it and apply the soaking liquid to each layer.But I would still like some advice on the whipped cream. Maybe I should just use a meringue for frosting??Anyone have some thoughts??
I did a search but haven't really found the answers I need in all the post about Tres Leches.I'm going to make a Tres Leche cake -- my first. The person I'm making it for wants a more modest cake so I will be making an 8" round rather than a 9x13.First can I turn the cake out on a plate and soak it rather than leave it in the pan. I figured a cake board wouldn't work well, but if I put it on a platter with a small lip would that be enough?Second, I want to frost it with...
Your cake looks great! I think it looks better with the fish off center than it would with in the middle of the cake. Adds a bit of visual interest.
A small fondant cover cake should keep that long as long as you don't use perishable fillings. In this case, I would consider using a mix since they have have a tendency to last longer unrefrigerated due to the added preservatives.I once made a fondant cover cake that sat out at room temp for 9 days (because of things happening at the time we hadn't had a chance to eat it). Well, I was sure the cake had gone bad, but had to cut it to see. It looked perfectly ok, so I...
I bake from scratch. I've seen lots of posts with folks saying that scratch cakes are dry and I don't really understand it. My cakes are as moist or moister than any boxed cake. They are very consistent and in my opinion taste better.I think the secret of a really great scratch cake is a really great recipe. Honestly, I don't ever even try a recipe unless it comes with a fantastic recommendation from someone I trust or lots of really great and detailed...