Posts by Relznik

Sorry - meant to say - I do contact the venue to see what time everything will be set up. I don't like to get there toooo early, because I figure the longer the cake is out, the more opportunity there is for someone to knock into it, LOL!!!
By the time you get to about the the third dozen, you'll start to understand WHY people charge more than £1.20 I have just finished a 3D tube train cake with 140 matching cupcakes. In fact, I'm on here, whilst I'm waiting for the customer, who is now 34 minutes late.I didn't get to bed last night.I am losing the will to live.Oh, and I have another cake to do for tomorrow. It's baked. I've done some of the decoration. But that's as far as I've got.Seriously, though. ...
Brilliant!! I wonder if it's actually as easy as she makes it look? I'll have a quick play later and let you know! Suzanne x
I would use either drums or the double thick cards, like these, are OKhttp://www.almondart.com/shop/Boards.htmlGood luck! Look forward to seeing your cake! Suzanne x
8 sounds quite a lot, actually... remember, the more dowels you put into the cake, the more you're displacing. Unless it's a GIANT cake? But for a 12", I usually use 5. For the tiers above, I'd use 4.Sorry if I'm teaching my grandmother to suck eggs, but make sure the dowels are a fraction of a millimetre higher than your sugarpaste - remember, they're taking the weight of the cake above. Put a blob of royal icing over the top of each dowel and that will stick the...
I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a cake out at a venue overnight, anyway, to be honest... maybe that's just me, though? All you can do is make sure you have it really well supported. How many dowels do you usually use in each tier?Make sure each tier is really level.Make sure the table you put it on is level and steady! (I take a spirit level with me and if the table has the smallest amount of wobble, I get them to change it!!!!Make sure the cake isn't directly in...
I've found that I can't get a deep enough brown by using colouring... and if I do, I use SO MUCH that it alters the texture of the paste.So I now mix red and green (I buy ready-coloured red... sometimes I make my own green, sometimes I buy pre-coloured) and that makes brown... and I adjust it accordingly, adding a little more of one or the other until I get a colour I'm happy with (I start off with 50/50 of each)
That's the only reason I commented! It's apparent that different people are viewing a different pink. Whether that's due to different browsers or whatever, I don't know. But the colour I see is neon which I just didn't think was in keeping with the very elegant design of the logo.As I said, I only commented because the original poster asked.
Apparently, there are two reasons (this was covered at the last BSG demo I went to); The wood they're made from isn't suitable - it's a lot more likely to splinter (hazard) and b) the way they're stored is incredibly unhygienic!
Firstly, you can buy wooden dowels from on-line cake supplies place - eghttp://www.almondart.com/shop/Dowels.html#aW1009DEFINITELY not enough support. I would put 3 or 4 dowels in each tier (either 3 in a triangle shape, or 4 in a square). Make sure the dowels are a fraction of a millimeter above your sugarpaste - the weight of the tier above is taken on the dowels, not the cake. How thick was the card you placed the cake on? It needs to be relatively strong, otherwise...