Posts by Relznik

I used a pyrex bowl to bake the dome section of this one...  
AZCouture - what size pans do I need for the recipe as shown, please?   Thanks.   Suzanne x
Thank you, AZCouture.    That's the thing, I guess....  there isn't nostalgia surrounding it here in the UK because it's "new" (ish) to us! LOL!  I actually think people have seen it on tv cake shows from the US and think it's so new and different that they HAVE to have it!   Maybe I need to try another recipe?  This just doesn't taste of *anything*....  will give the one you recommended a go!   Suzanne x
I've been asked so often for red velvet cake, that I thought I ought to give it a go.  It's still relatively new to the UK...  it's been around for a couple of years, but it's certainly not a staple, as far as cake flavours go.   I don't "get" it....   ...  it's not a lovely chocolatey chocolate cake.   ...  it's not a light, fragrant vanilla sponge.   It's just 'meh', really.   Buttermilk...  that's just a thin natural yoghurt, as far as I can make out.  I know...
 With practice, royal icing can be perfectly smooth!!!  I'm not saying it's something I have done, but I know many cake makers who have!!  As has already been advised, you can add a tsp of glycerine per lb of royal icing to stop it setting has hard as concrete!  And it's not normally used to cover a sponge cake, because there's too much 'give' in sponge which could lead to cracking of the icing.  BUT, in saying that, I'm sure I've heard people HAVE done it...  so if that's...
Yep, I concur ....  It's definitely a peony!   Suzanne x
Oh no!!!  I'm so sorry.  I do think that perhaps the oven caused it to melt.  I've never had one melt in the dishwasher before...  I do think perhaps it was the oven that caused it.  200f is about 90c - and my defrost setting is just 35c, so your was a LOT warmer. I've never put one in the oven to soften, before popping into the dishwasher.  I might have soaked it in a sink of water first, but not put into the oven.  I really do think that was the cause.  You've no reason...
Yes, bake two cakes and then stack.     I did that yesterday with the 8" cake!!!  I just prefer it for square cakes and larger round cakes.   I cut each cake through, so that in total you have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling (1 layer of filling in one cake, one layer of filling in another cake and 1 layer of filling to secure the two halves together!!)
Yes, as previous post said, you can do it in two batches.  However, another tip is to bake it in two halves, too.  Just make up half the mix (or slightly more than half, actually) and bake.   Then do the same again.   I just find that the cakes don't rise as well when it's a big one like a 12"....  and the corners get done way before the centre....       Suzanne x
I'd use royal icing.   Suzanne x