Posts by Alien_Sunset

well... ok, not using it in a cake specifically but it does tell you not to stir or disturb it too much, and spooning it out and smoothing it onto a cake pretty much equals that.
More cornstarch will make it thicker.BUT, stirring and smoothing it onto your cake layers and the friction of a layer on top of it will break down the cornstarch bonds. So while it's thick in your pan, it will thin out and get watery in your cake.But then, The 911 site you linked explains it quite nicely.
Don't increase the cornstarch, it won't help.The problem is that the bonds that cornstarch forms when you cook it are very, very delicate. And when you stir or play with the custard too much, it breaks the bonds. No amount of cornstarch will fix this.(Look it up in the joy of cooking)What I would suggest would be increasing the eggs, perhaps using a whole egg to replace one yolk. And using whole milk instead of the milk powder/water.Heat milk and 1/2 the sugar over...
Oh wow, thank you all so much for your kind words!I make me feel more confident knowing that all you experienced decorators think I can do a good job. It'll probably be a few days before I find out what they want, I'm going to try not to worry about it until I hear from them.But you can rest assured I'll probably be here asking a million and one questions before I'm done! I haven't had much stress just working on my family and friend's cakes so hopefully this won't be...
My mom told me today that two of the nurses that work for her want to hire me to make cakes fro their children's birthdays.AAAAAAA! I am so nervous/scared. I don’t even know what they want or when they will want them, but I'm already freaking out. My first real paid orders!I gave my mom the cake order sheets I worked up hat have all the cake flavors and icings I know how to make, and it has my e-mail on it if they need to get a hold of me.Oh dear! I hope I can do...
I bought my course three student kit and signed up for the class tonight.On the back of the box it says it contains5 decorating tips separator plate and pillarslily nail5 rose bouquet fondant cutters*ball and veiner toolfoam squares*fine artist's brushcake dividing chart*white cake sparkles*yellow stamensgum texthere are pictures of all of these things as wellunfortunately when I opened the box, I found the asterisked (*) items missing.All the items listed and pictured in...
add less water
I tried them in the very beginning when I was desperate to decorate and didn’t have any bags on hand.I had a few problems:Occasionally the seams would burst, especially if my icing was thick or I was using a smaller tip.I couldn't really fill the bag up too much past the ziplock part; it would never stay fully sealed and made twisting the bag closed difficult. This lead to not having very much room for icing, and I kept having to refill.
Woops! BOCESIs the board of corporative education services. I hadn't realized it was something local to my area.They do things like offer vocational classes to high school students and continuing education classes to people in the community.When I was younger I went there for computer camp, and my father took several computer classes there.
Thank you everybody very much for your responses! Hi Smoochiefrog! I live WAY upstate, in Clayton NY, there's a BOCES about 25 miles away in Watertown where I grew up. I went to computer camp there when I was younger, and my father and I too several computer classes together. (I was mostly there to be his tutor ) I still get a lot of mailings from them about class offerings, and I hardly every see anything like cake decorating offered, and considering what I wide audience...