Posts by ksgirl

Funny that I just came across this post because I was just thinking about how much I hate mixing colors and cleaning all of the different frosting bags so much that I'm considering not doing anything except wedding cakes. I hate that I spend all that time mixing and filling and cleaning the bags and then make $25-$30 for a stinking birthday cake. The crazy part is that I love the actual decorating. I like being creative and seeing my end products. But I just have...
I need to voice a frustration to see if it's just me or if others are having the same issues:I just baked my doctered chocolate cake (with the extra egg and pudding) in a 10X3 round pan. I baked it at 325 and even added the flower nail in the middle and the baking strips to ensure it would bake evenly. Well, it took what seemed forever to bake and although it did come out pretty level, it's hard around the top 1/3 edges. I also baked a 10X2 with this same cake recipe...
This may also sound weird but one thing I have found is that if I wait until the buttercream has crusted on the cake to do the writing, I can usually take a straight pin or Exacto knife (ones reserved for my cakes only) and am able to sort of pull the writing off. Sometimes it comes off in a string and sometimes it breaks. But many times I am able to pull it right off. I don't thin out my icing for the writing so this could be the reason I'm able to pull it off. Hope...
The buttercream recipe I use consists of-50/50 butter/criscovanilla extractpowdered sugarThat's essentially it. I am happy with this recipe because my customers like it, I like it, and it's nice and white and has a good consistency. I want a more buttery flavor but don't want to add more butter because when I do, I get a greasier and way too soft buttercream. I've thought about adding a butter flavoring and have used Wilton's but I don't like it. It has a "fake" taste...
Anyone else???
Anyone, anyone????
Can anyone tell me who made this cake or where the pic came from (poss. website)?
Thanks everyone. I'll keep at and definitely use the spoon and cotton ball ideas. I really think those will help.And CarolAnn- is that a pic of you in your forum post? If so, I swear I know you from somewhere! I'd be happy to get together sometime and trade ideas or just practice techniques. PM me and we can discuss it further.
Sorry everyone- I will try to post the picture in the gallery.
Here is a pic of the bottom of my gumpaste rose. I just posted a pic of the top of it in the gallery section.I've only made about a handful of these and this is my best one. My question to all of you is- do your roses look like this underneath? My always tend to "ball" up on the underside. I've never put an entire spray (is that the word?) together so perhaps it would look better with all the greenery, in a group, and on top of cake??? I just feel like I need to...