Posts by trumpetmidget

Depends on what you are looking for - some of the things you can't get subs for. But, I use clay equipment a LOT. I have clay sculpting tools, clay gun, imprint mats, molds, etc. I use the Sculpey (?) brand because it is cheaper. Also, play-do stuff works well. Paint brushes from the paint section. Hmmm...silicone cookie sheet for modeling and other small things. Pizza cutter, dough cutter...I also use a lot of things from the scrapbooking department, believe it or...
If my husband had said that, I would have thrown the cake in the trash can and made him go in with nothing. But, I have anger management issues with morons. Hehehe. I will try to make you feel better. First off, give your husband the evil eye and make him watch the kids tonight (if you have kids). Second - here is a picture of a cake I made this summer. It was for my husbands godsons birthday 5.5 hours away. Needless to say, it didn't make the trip. LOL. So,...
I did Rocket for my nephews birthday in September. I used an 8" or 10" round pan (I can't remember which one) and a ball pan for on top. I didn't have to carve too much. One thing - the engines on the side - you may want to use rice krispie treats or something light because they didn't stay on so well. Mine was just buttercream. It wasn't too difficult. Feel free to pm me if you need any help.
There is a picture in my photo gallery. It was a happy feet theme and it is just buttercream and I didn't smooth the icing. It was for more than 30 people, but you could downsize it. The penguins were plastic - I got them in a tube at A.C. Moore. The snowflakes are royal icing on wire. HTH.
I felt so bad for the girl with the snow globe. I didn't understand why she put the sugar together off of the board? Not to mention that gravity was against her - maybe the physics would have worked but it looked like it was going to breadk. Would have been cool.Buddy drives me nuts because he is so confident and thinks his stuff is so good. Which, it is good, but there's something missing in his cakes. He doesn't push the envelope, take chances. There is heart...
I am guessing this is an 8", 10", 12", 14", (which would feed 161 people with 2"x1.5" servings) though i tmay be 6", 8", 10", and 12" (which would feed 110 people at 2"x1.5" servings). Many people go by the 1"x2" servings, which would give you more servings, but I don't. So, if I were to do it, I would do the first choice, with no dummies and I charge $3 serving, which winds up being $483 (it looks like it is buttercream. If you are going to do fondant, I would add $1...
Thanks for all your help, everyone. I have another question...What is the difference between white and yellow? And, can you lead me in the direction of a good white cake recipe? That is one I don't have on my repetoir (sp?). Is white cake the same as angel food or sponge cake?Thank you, thank you, thank you for putting up with my annoyances!
I'm not sure what you're doing wrong but there are a couple of things I would check that come to mind right away. Are you using homemade fondant? If so, add glycerine - that helps a lot. Make sure you are not taking too long to put it on - it may be getting dry. If it is dry to start with, add some crisco then roll it out. Often, if I get cracks and markes, I will use a stiff paint brush to smooth the lines. HTH.
Okay, so I have a good butter cake recipe. I can use that as a yellow cake and than my good pound cake recipe as a pound cake, which is seperate from yellow cake. Does that soudn right? What about white cake? I am trying to settle on "my" cake. I want to have each cake so that i make the same recipe each time. I have found a couple of good ones and am just trying to narrow it down. Thanks!
I made my own fondant. I brought my own wooden rolling pin. I didn't use fanci foil to cover my cake board before covering it with fondant - I used tin foil (worked just as well). They shouldn't care that you don't have Wilton stuff. If they do, tell them you are just there to learn how to do it, not buy into Wilton stock. You only need to buy the class and the kit. I was ticked because I did buy the color fondant, because I thought we would need it - we really...