Posts by trumpetmidget

Does anyone else have a problem with their tips rusting? Is there something I can do to stop that? Two of them are cheapy tips I bought and didn't expect them to last. But, two are Wilton tips and I thought they were good forever. Do you have to replace tips often? I've had them less than 2 years. I don't put them in the dishwasher (my husband did once and got a not so nice name under breath sneer when I emptied the washer and saw it). Am I doing something wrong or...
I have been decorating for about 2 years now, mainly with buttercream. I have btaken the 3 wilton classes, so I know about fondant, but stay away from it (I don't care for the taste). Anyway, I just signed up for the new wilton fondant/gumpaste class and was just wondering what gumpaste was. I have heard about it and assume it is like fondant, but just wondering.Thanks!
Precious Moments havea child like quality to them in general, so it is going to be hard for it not to look like a "baby" cake. I would think, though, that your particular picture you have on here is what makes it look "babyish". It looks more appropriate for a one year old birthday just because the candle on the head. There are lots of other picture choices for precious moments. If that is the one they chose for you, then go with it. Making it pastel will make it...
Do you have to be licensed for this? Or can you just do it as a hobby to make extra cash?
If you go into my photos (I can't seem to upload into the forums), how much would you charge for the butterfly cake? I made it a year and a half ago for my daughter's first birthday and have a friend who wants the same cake (though it will look nicer because I am better at decorating). I'm not charging her, but if someone asks me how much it would cost, I would like to know, just in case they are looking for something themselves. Any help would be great. Thanks!
This seems like a really good idea. Is there any insurance or license or liabilities that you need to think about to do this? I'm just wondering about lawsuits, etc. It is a really, really cool idea. I've never heard of it.
I am making a birthday cake for a girlfriend. She wants cream cheese icing. Anyone have a good recipe for it? Is it easy to decorate with? I've decorated with store bought cream cheese icing and it wasn't terribly easy. It was too smooth. Any suggestions would help.Thanks.
I am making a cake for my girlfriends daughters 1st birthday. I have a feeling I will have some people ask me how much it would cost to have a cake like that for their parties. So, to have an idea, how much would you charge for this cake? It is a half sheet cake with a butterfly mold cake on top. I don't know how many people it would serve. I know that most pricing is done by the serving, but I can't do that since I don't know. This cake I made for my daughter about...
I have been making cakes for about 2 years now for my family and friends. I bring them to parties, etc. Many times, people ask me how much I charge. I have always said that i don't do it for a living and just for fun. Lately, though, the questions have been more often. So, my question for you, is - if I decide to make a couple of cakes for people and actually charge, do I have to go through licensing and things like that? I live in Pennsylvania, if that matters. I...
Does anyone know how or where I can find out how to pipe an alligator or crocodile (maybe 2 or 3 inches long)? I checked Wilton.com and itisn't there. I am making a castle cake right now and want to put an alligator in the moat, but my magazine doesn't have it like i thought. Any help would be great! Thanks