Posts by trumpetmidget

Well, I tasted the cake with strawberry preserve and duffs buttercream (french, swiss, or pennsylvanian) as a filling and covered with duffs icing flavored with vanilla. It was pretty good. I needed to do another layer of the filling, but it was pretty good. It is just that consistency that is driving me nuts. Would/have you covered a cake with that icing with fondant? It seems like a very fancy icing to me. But, it was only 2 or so years ago that I was using the...
I added the vanilla and it made a WORLD of difference. Thank you, jk! It's not nearly as sweet now. It is so smooth, it's very different than my regular buttercream. I mixed it with strawberry preserves, which gave it a funny texture. I think I put in too much preserves and next time I'll whip it in my mixer rather than using a spoon. It tasted alright. I am anxious to taste the cake with everything, but have to wait till this afternoon. We're bringing our...
Homemade Goodies, that is the right link for the recipe I used. I cut it down in half to try it. I don't know if it is the recipe he uses in his shop, but it is the one he demonstrated on the food network.As for it being grainy, it isn't at all. It is really, really smooth. It is much smoother than my regular recipe. I gues because you make the meringue first before you add the butter? I don't know. All I know is that it tastes funny. Not bad, really, just too...
His recipe didn't even call for vanilla. I will add some. That would be nice.I thought a swiss buttercream needed to be cooked? I didn't cook it. Which is another thing that bugs me, but I guess the sugar cooks the egg whites or something and that is why it is okay to eat?Thanks for the advice. I'll try it!
I love Bev's, too, Ritter. I am hoping she will have an airbrush class this fall on a day I can go. Anyway, I did not have to answer a lot of that form, Tina. I didn't even have to submit it to get inspected. The inspector came out and filled out the form while he was in my kitchen. It was really easy. I guess each inspector is different. Anything that doesn't seem to apply, put N/A. As for hours - by appointment. I did not submit a floor plan. You do not need...
I saw Duff demonstrating his icing on food network and got the recipe of food networks site. It is for French buttercream. Have you made it? I made it this afternoon and I am not a fan of it. I'm afraid I did it wrong or am wondering if I am just not used to it. It has an odd texture and is very sweet. I have been using buttercream dream for a while now and love that. Duff's icing is so different. Do you use that on a special cake or is it for any cake?Thanks.
I have used simple syrup, but am truly unsure as to how much to use. I put about a half cup on the cake (8" round, 3" high and a 6" round, 3" high, both layers torted). The cake was still dry. But, I didn't want to soak the cake...or was I supposed to. Thanks for the help!
I just started a website for my business and would love some feedback. It is through google free websites and is very simple. Please give me your thoughts. Thanks!http://sites.google.com/site/lucybellecakedesign/
I use 3 inches exclusively for my rounds. I only torte it once, usually. It is a pain sometimes because it does take a while to cook, but I also think that there is something wrong with my oven. So, who knows. I like 3 inch because it gives it height and I only have to bake 1 cake instead of 2 to get some height. HTH.
You know, Bundt, I really like the idea of keeping your old pants to remind you. I will have to remember that when I get my weight off. That is one thing that bugs me...I remember when I was in college and thought, man, size 18s are huge - I'll never let myself get that big. Then, after my first daughter...there I was. Then, when I was an 18, I thought, this is as far as I am going. Now, 2 sizes later, I stare at my 22's and think "how did I let this happen". But,...