Posts by trumpetmidget

I have done many wedding cakes, but yesterday was the first non-family member I have done. I wasn't happy with the cake, as I usually am not happy with my cakes. I saw all the flaws, leans, crooked parts. Then, I am worried I didn't make enough cake. So, today, I am worried that I am going to get a phone call within the next week or so to say how unhappy they were with the cake. Is this typical or is it because it is my first non-family member? I have attached a...
Does anybody else have problems with Wilton products or is it just me? I just feel like they are putting out c***. I bought a leveler - one of the big ones and spent more time than ever making my cake level. What a waste of $20. I bought a professional turntable - it is not level. Their stuff is constantly breaking or doesn't do what it is supposed to do. I try not to buy Wilton when I can, but the closest cake store is 40 minutes away from my house. So, I am stuck...
Do you have kids? Were they jumping around the oven? Or did you move the pan while it was still cooking? I get that problem, too, and usually it is because there is a lot of movement in the house. The vibrations makes the cake fall. It's a pain in the butt. HTH
I haven't done it yet, but will be doing it tomorrow. I am just using a silver frame the bride gave me that is a 2"x3" frame with a picture of her and her fiance in it. I am just going to put it on top of the cake and have a few small gumpaste flowers on either side. It will really go well with the cake because the stand and the pillars are all silver. Hope this gives you some ideas!
I mix wilton and vodka and it works well for me. I would NOT use water, that will gunk up your cake. Use vodka or another alcohol so that it evaporates. Be sure it is quite thin or you will clog your airbrush and it won't spray nicely. I only use airbrush colors for black and red. I guess I am a bad girl. I have a badger, though, so it is not strictly made for cake decorating. I also mix luster dust and sparkle dust with vodka. HTH.
Do you want the tombstone to be cake? If you don't, I would use styrofoam and cover it with fondant. If you do, just be sure to dowel it well for supports. Also, I would put the cake over a dowel screwed into a board so that it doesn't tip over. You can also do the bottom part cake and top half styro or visa versa. Those are my suggestions. HTH
I have done so many cakes that I think to myself "I'm a hack and I can not believe people are paying for my c@#p". In the last two months I have had more mishaps than in the last 3 years. But, luckily, today I had a success and I needed to share it with people who can understand. Today was a day that I felt like I knew what I was doing and I liked my work and gosh darn it, people like my work. I did this organ cake for a concert and it was a replica of their church's...
I looked at Indydebi's recipe and it looks good. But, question. With the Dream Whip, does it make it whipped creamy? That was the other thing she didn't want was a whipped icing, either. If it is, I'll try Callyssas icing. Thanks for all the help!
I have a cake order for this Saturday. Today, the client wants to change the icing because the bride (it's for a bridal shower) does not like buttercream. She likes "sugar icing". We are covering the cake in Fondant and the filling is supposed to be strawberry buttercream and covered in vanilla buttercream, topped with fondant. I asked her what she meant by "sugar icing" and this was the message she gave me - "I was thinking of the icing that they use for inexpensive...
I would imagine it is still good. As long as it hasn't seperated, it should be fine. Someone else may know better, but I would still use it.