Posts by trumpetmidget

Luckily, it doesn't look terribly difficult. My suggestion? Do it as early as you can. I was the Matron of Honor at my friends wedding and I was supposed to drop it off Friday afternoon, so I could spend Friday night and Saturday all day with her. I worked on it Thursday evening and wound up screwing it up big time. Luckily, I was able to have my husband drop it off on Saturday, so I could fix it Friday afternoon. And I never got it completely straight. ...
Quote psurrette - Think about how many started with Wilton. Thank god they had classes and product to buy when there wasn't anyone or anything else to buy. You got me there, psurrette! If I hadn't taken the Wilton classes, I would not have a fun job/extreme hobby now. Texas - I didn't mean to insult you. When I think of a hobbiest I think of someone who makes cakes for their kids birthdays and that's about it. I guess that is not really a hobbiest, though, is it? ...
Toba Garretts fondant, which is on this website. I swear by it. It is quick to make and yummy, yummy, yummy. I put in vanilla extract for the extract (I think she recommends orange or something).I guess if you are into doing hobby cakes, than Wilton works. But, in all honesty, what hobbiest is going to get into the flowers, fondant and gumpaste? I guess they might.I get a LOT of my fondant tools from the clay section. Hehehe. Works for me. I guess I am just annoyed...
I made a car for my dad last year. It is in my photos. I made it out of one 9x13, cut a few inches off, put that on top in the center to make the roof and then carved it to look like a t-bird. If I were to charge for that cake, I would start at my base price of $3 per serving, plus $1 per serving for fondant and then $2 per serving to carve it. So, that is $6 per serving. 9x13 is about 24 servings (I charge per serving on the cake I bake, not neccessarily how many it...
If you are talking about scratch cake - David's Yellow Cake in the recipes on CC is very moist. Almost too moist, if that is possible. The only thing I don't like about it is it calls for 9 egg yolks. That's a lot of eggs! For cake mix cake, I make the Cake Doctors Better than ? Cake. It is really good and moist. 1 box yellow cake, 1 stick melted butter, 3 eggs, 1 cup of milk (I think it is a cup. Might be a cup and a half). Mix with electric mixer until it...
I would say nothing. Barely noticable to us, chances are the client won't notice it at all. We see everything, they don't. At least, that's what I have been told. I still have a hard time believing they can't see the stupid errors on my cakes...
I use vanilla vodka. Why? Because that is what was in the house. Now, I am on to Creme de Cocoa. Why? Because I used up all the vanilla vodka. Hehehehe. We bought the stuff for white chocolate martinis and I use it more for painting than I do for drinking. But, my, oh, my, were those martinis good! Anyway, I have never had anyone say they could taste the alcohol. I would think you could taste the lemon, but I don't know for sure.
Most likely, yes the mouth will turn black if you covered it completely in black. But, in all honesty, if it is a halloween party with a bunch of kids, especially boys, they will think it is totally cool. And, it won't last long. you can offer mouth wash in their goody bags. Hehehehe
oops - I forgot to add the attachment. Also, the finished car had a bum hanging out of the window to moon the world. But, I wasn't sure if that was considered a "naughty" cake. Oh, and that is the title of the book, not dirty cakes. It's "Naughty Cakes". Sorry.
I made a T-Bird for my dad last year. I am going to try and attach it. I carved it to get what I wanted. So, if you want it on a 9x9 pan, I would bake a 9x9 cake, cut off about 2 inches or a little more on one side. Then, the pieces that I cut off, I cut so they were the width of the car, put them in the center to have the hood. Then, I carved it to the general shape of what I wanted, iced it, fondanted it and wa-la. I got the idea from Debbie Browns Dirty Cake book....