Posts by DeniseNH

They just took issue with the posters supposition that in finding a decorator who was operating "under the table" she could get a better deal. That's all., She hit a raw nerve.
I'm thinking 50/50 fondant-gumpaste in a mold she made from a plastic toy. Brilliantly done - so good actually that it looks plastic.......or maybe it's colored chocolate......made in sections.
I find that the tradition is fading. Most need to eat the top tier within 3 months because it has butter in the icing and butter can't be frozen over 3 months. This tradition was ok when icing was made with a shortening base. Because the couple might be moving from the area, or will be eating the top tier on their honeymoon or don't want to eat freezer burned cake, they're coming back a year later for a fresh 6" cake or chosing not to keep it.
I find that the tradition is fading. Most need to eat the top tier within 3 months because it has butter in the icing and butter can't be frozen over 3 months. This tradition was ok when icing was made with a shortening base. Because the couple might be moving from the area, or will be eating the top tier on their honeymoon or don't want to eat freezer burned cake, they're coming back a year later for a fresh 6" cake or chosing not to keep it.
CMC and Tylose are the same thing. Tylose is the name English decorators call CMC. Tragicanth is a natural ingredient that is found in a shrub grown in the rain forest. That's why it's so expensive. I use CMC all the time, with great results.
I use foamcore all the time and just take a cake pan one size larger than the cake - place it right side up on the foam core, trace around the pan bottom (as a pattern) then cut on the line with an Exacto knife - regular size. Then I cover the board with sticky-back shelf liner and trim with a ribbon around the edge.
Yes, it was around $10 but I gave them a JoAnn's 50% off certificate (which they take) so got it for half price.
I wish they had a mini one for beads. I think that cake pops are a fad and next year will fade out, because brides are slowly go towards a fancier lacy looking cake and pops are "casual". If you can find something else to do with it to extend its life like maybe fudge balls or truffles and you sell a lot of them then it would be worth it to you. But something about having to fiddle that much with my food is a turnoff. What if your consistency isn't right, do you end up...
Just had to tell you about this. I love browsing the clay aisle at the craft store and found a new beading tool for clay made by Sculpey. It's three long needle-like tools in three different sizes (in the same package) but what's neat about it is that at the wider end of the needle tool you have a half bead shaped cup. Just poke it into your fondant to make a half bead or cut out individual half beads to put on the cake. Tops of the beads are rounded (which you can't...
There's no better feeling and I too can't wait to see the photos.