Posts by DeniseNH

I've backed mine with melted white chocolate.  Makes them stiff so they could stand up in the icing.
Karo Syrup.  If you use water, the image will run.
Your hands may be heating up the icing in the bag.  Keep a frozen bag of (whatever) next to you and every once in a while place your hand on the frozen bag to cool it down.  The crumb coating should be softer than the fur.
Thanks so much.  And I totally forgot to put it in the Cake Central gallery.  Have it posted on Pinterest and on my website and on facebook,  Will do that this morning.  I colored the lace royal blue with a little navy blue (gel) - about two tablespoonsful to one batch of Sugar Dress.  Looks a lot lighter in the dish but when it cures as lace it's a nice dark color.  I just started bouncing around ideas about lace flowers.  The lace is too delicate to attach by wire like...
I've been experimenting and found that what I really want is a combination of both Sugar Veil and Sugar Dress.  So I added a quarter teaspoon of CMC to my Dress  - which seized it up so I had to add more water but when the lace came out of the mold some of the stickiness was gone and it did set up (less floppy) - big technical term :-)  Next experiment - I'll mix both Sugar dress and Veil together to see if that gives me the body I'm looking for while keeping the...
A very artistic cake.  Would go great at a museum or art gallery.  Bet you're glad it's done  :-)
Yes, I too tried and hated DAB.  I tried putting a lot of Crisco in it and even that didn't work.  So I put water on my fingers and kneaded that in then put the DAB blob into the microwave to soften it - just a few seconds and was finally able to make some lace with it but yes, it dries immediately - just like gumpaste.  So you need to have the cake you're working on right there so you can apply the lace immediately.  Sugarveil also dries hard so I tried Sugar Dress and...
I like Sugar Dress best but find that I need both Sugar Dress and Sugar Veil.  Dress stays rubbery and if it does dry hard it will soon absorb moisture from the room and become rubbery again.  Hence the need for Sugarveil which hardens quickly and stays that way - so if you need a lace to conform to a cake shape, choose Sugar Dress but if you want to make lace bows or anything that needs to stand on its own away from the cake, like lace flower petals, then you need Sugar...
I love sugar dress.  Best results for me.  Lace stays pliable if placed in a plastic bag.
So funny, was just looking at that one this morning - I have it - but the design is too big.  Thought about making one or just using real netting and tell them not to eat that part.  It's for a bridal shower cake and she wants a 3-D standup hot pink corset.  The netting was for the inset on the front.  I'll make the corset out of RKT to keep it light.  Just need to visit a DIY store for an internal frame.  Sigh....................why me ................and why do I keep...