Posts by DeniseNH

I just asked the girls in my cake group and here's what one of them said.   ~~It is just a method of pasteurization, it would be fine for ganache - or anything else really
There's all kinds of places selling lace molds.  But I'm not sure we can advertise them on this site.  Google Sugar Lace Molds or Fondant Lace Molds and have a blast looking.
Fondant is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO easy.  PLEASE get a bucket of it and try it out on a smaller cake.  Instant love.  And as for the burlap, just go to your local DIY craft store and they sell it in rolls with finished edges..............no shedding!!!!!!  Easy Peezie.
I too have used both Sugarveil and Sugar Lace and my vote is definitely with Sugar Lace from Global Sugar Art.  Oh man, I've shown it to every family member and a few brides and they're SO amazed at how great it smells (vivid vanilla) and how fabric-like it is and pliable..  I too think that this was made just for me and is an answer to a prayer.  BUT you might need Sugarveil at some point to use with it or diluted and warmed gumpaste because Sugar Lace doesn't solidify...
Just after I posted my brag about only having a handful of walk-aways................I had two back to back consultations that both walked away without putting a deposit down.:-)   One is for next year so I was their first taste test and the other has a death grip on her pocketbook.  Time will tell.  Then again it was a full moon.  :-)
Yup you were sold a unit with an old or damaged needle.  Need to order a new one.  Everything you said happened to me and a new needle solved everything.  All better now.
Yes, air comes out of my nozzle as soon as I turn it on without pressing the trigger.  This really is normal.  The bubbles you see in the cup means something's wrong with your needle.  The bubbles happened to me too but it was solved when I purchased a new needle.  Try taking the needle out of the machine and soaking it in airbrush cleaner.  Reinsert and press the trigger.  If this doesn't work you may need a new needle.  Is this a new machine or used?  Sounds like a clog.
No, actually the gumpaste gives it structure so that you can cut it clean and apply it without stretching.  If it's paper thin when applied to your cake, it will be easy to cut through, unlike thicker plain fondant.  Most guests ignore fondant and don't eat it anyway so eating usually isn't an issue and if they're paper thin, they're both easy to cut and eat.  Fondant keeps the gumpaste soft.  Definitely good to eat.  Hope you watch the film someone suggested above,...
I've used the Chevron onlays before and they are wonderful.  I purchased the large and the medium.  There's a slight learning curve to any new mold and the secrets to getting onlays straight on the cake is to press lightly with your rolling pin and press several times until you can see that the design has impressed crisply.  Then I placed the mat with the chevron on it in the freezer for 5 minutes.  They came out nice and stiff and easy to apply.  Have fun.  Oh wait, also...
If you use foamcore plates under your cakes you can use a wooden shishkabob skewer.  The sharpened end will pierce the foamcore plate and stay wherever you put it then simply slide the bow (that has a hole in it) down over the skewer (once you get to the delivery location).  It won't go anywhere.  But I do know what you're talking about because I had extra large sugar peonies  on wooden skewers slice right through a wedding cake once - thankfully it was my granddaughters...