Posts by DeniseNH

Nope.  Another expense that needs to be passed along to my customers in the form of higher prices.  I don't know about everyone else, but I'm finding that 2014 brides are pretty thrifty.
I agree, using basket handles from an unknown source is not recommended.  But new discounted basket handles, wound tightly with ribbon and if you feel better about it,dip the ends being pushed into the cake, in a coating of white chocolate as added protection.  Hundreds of thousands of Easter Baskets have been sold over the last 60 (plus) years and I've never heard a news story of a dogs death as a result.  Dogs chew sticks routinely in their back yards.  :-) 
Firstly, freeze your buttercream covered cakes for 20 minutes before covering in fondant. Then when you put the fondant on and need to readjust it, your buttercream stays on the cake, not the fondant.  And I don't tap my tappits, I roll out gumpaste very thinly then put a scant amount of Crisco on the surface and then cut the letters out.  They never stick inside my alphabet cutters and no flying across the room.
I work with MMF all the time and if yours is sticky - you haven't incorporated enough powdered sugar in it.  For designs, it's best to mix fondant and gumpaste 50/50 - with this mix you get nice clean lines with much less distortion.  Also, with anything in life, there's always a trick to it.  My trick and best friend is my freezer.  Lay out a length of waxed paper on a cookie sheet - tape it to the cookie sheet if you'd like, and lightly grease it with Crisco.  Place a...
I've also heard of people purchasing old easter baskets on discount after the holiday has passed and removing the rush handle to be used on cakes.  I tried finding rush in the craft store without luck but I know that people use it to make rush chair seats and when soaked over night, it can be bent and dried into any shape needed.
I gave up and used strips of heavy duty plastic net - the type that little old ladies in rest homes cut to shape and make tissue holders and ornaments out of by stitching designs on them.  Cut strips  - then cut the ends into a V shape (point) and bind together with ribbon wound around and around from one end to the other.  Then simply insert into the cake.
OK, thanks so much.  It's a shame because she has really nice, affordable molds.  Will have a look on Linked In.  
I purchased some foam type molds from Elegant Lace Molds and now can't find them on line.  I believe the owner is Carol Webb?  I keep getting sent to this one and that one but can't find the original Elegant Lace Molds site.  Did she go out of business or sell out to a bigger company or am I just not pressing the correct buttons.  Specifically looking for the hub cap and tire tread mold for a friend of mine.  Just made this today.
Sugarveil is a liquid.  It's spread onto a mold then left to dry over night or for at least 5 hours.  I think you can also bake it on 170 for 10 minutes to cure it quickly.  I'm sure there's a burlap mold out there somewhere - or you could easily make one yourself out of 50/50 fondant/gumpaste tinted with ivory.  DIY stores have food safe molding mediums in a two part package that sets up in under a half hour, but cost $20 so use your coupons for that store.
I agree 6 - 8 - 10 gives me 60 servings (I like larger pieces).  Then you place it on a stand - made out of Styrofoam - as in a 12" cake dummy and cover it with a one yard square of ironed fabric.  Scrunch up the fabric to look like the cake is sitting on a cloud and tuck the fabric edges in and she'll think you're a genius..........because the stand makes the cake look so much bigger.