Posts by DeniseNH

Yes, I too tried and hated DAB.  I tried putting a lot of Crisco in it and even that didn't work.  So I put water on my fingers and kneaded that in then put the DAB blob into the microwave to soften it - just a few seconds and was finally able to make some lace with it but yes, it dries immediately - just like gumpaste.  So you need to have the cake you're working on right there so you can apply the lace immediately.  Sugarveil also dries hard so I tried Sugar Dress and...
I like Sugar Dress best but find that I need both Sugar Dress and Sugar Veil.  Dress stays rubbery and if it does dry hard it will soon absorb moisture from the room and become rubbery again.  Hence the need for Sugarveil which hardens quickly and stays that way - so if you need a lace to conform to a cake shape, choose Sugar Dress but if you want to make lace bows or anything that needs to stand on its own away from the cake, like lace flower petals, then you need Sugar...
I love sugar dress.  Best results for me.  Lace stays pliable if placed in a plastic bag.
So funny, was just looking at that one this morning - I have it - but the design is too big.  Thought about making one or just using real netting and tell them not to eat that part.  It's for a bridal shower cake and she wants a 3-D standup hot pink corset.  The netting was for the inset on the front.  I'll make the corset out of RKT to keep it light.  Just need to visit a DIY store for an internal frame.  Sigh....................why me ................and why do I keep...
Anyone got any USA contact ideas?  Looking for a fine lace mat I can use with the new liquid lace stuff.  I found one but it has a floral design embedded into the net and a scalloped edge.  Just need the netting.  Looking for a larger design than tulle but smaller than fishnet.  Like the netting brides wear on retro wedding hats or shorter veil hair decorations.
I keep the darker of Duff's colors around, purple, black and red and find that it's more like candy clay.  Love working with it.
Sugar Dress is to die for - but they instruct you - through a youtube video sdone by Alan Tetrault (spelling?) to never refrigerate a cake with Sugar Dress on it.  The moisture all cakes accumulate as it come out of the fridge and hits the warm kitchen air dissolves the paper thin lace pieces - to mush.  Yes you can color it with gel colors but you'll need to keep it in the oven or on the kitchen counter a lot longer to cure.  I just completed a white cake with navy blue...
Boy everyone seems to be getting on the edible lace bandwagon lately.  I don't blame them.  It's awesome.  BUT it all started in Hong Kong with a product called DAB Sugar Lace which I've tried and didn't like - too stiff and it dries hard like royal icing - very pretty but very breakable.  Then I came across Sugar Dress sold by Global Sugar Art and that one so far is the best.  Can be made way ahead of time and kept pliable in a plastic bag, but can't be put on a cake you...
Yes, purchase a set of tappits and cut each letter out of very thin gumpaste and put into place.  They come in a few different fonts (block, script and funky).
Why not use any old paper you want then head on to your local big box store and pick up a roll of clear sticky-backed shelf liner paper and just protect the music paper and board with it.  Place your cake on a cardboard round the same size as the cake it's on and before you put the cake on the music paper - place double sided tape onto the  covered paper as your non-skid mat.