Posts by DeniseNH

I forgot one other tip.  While cutting your stripes.....  Lay a length of waxed paper out on your kitchen counter.  Grease it ever so lightly.  Roll out your paste on the waxed paper and cut it into the half inch wide strips 0 remove excess paste then pick up the waxed paper and place onto a metal cookie sheet.  Place cookie sheet, waxed paper and fondant strips into your freezer for 10 minutes.  When ready to put the strips on the cake, take them out of the freezer one at...
All the best with the new and improved version.  Can't wait to see it.  We're here for you!!!
I've never made an Ariel cake so this thread intrigued me.  Love learning something new.  Looks like you take the Ariel Wilton face pan and line it with chocolate and that's why it's so huge, it started out as an actual cake pan.  No wonder it's so heavy.  And I would skip their directions and do what the other poster did, attach (in the back) four sturdy straws or dowels with more chocolate then put it on at the party.  Several reviewers said they would never do this...
All great advice and I too couldn't get through more than two sentences of the all caps comment.  All caps (to me) means you're screaming at the receiver.  Too bad because your advice was very valuable.  I love the design and the One on top.  The circles under it needed to be cut out of a circle cutter for uniformity.  Your fondant was overworked with powdered sugar so it cracked and left elephant skin, the cakes inside were overfilled and before you put the crumb coat on...
I'm wondering why the decorator didn't use several light applications of airbrush gold?  Maybe the pressure of the air would blow off the sequins.  Wouldn't it be cool if you could get all yellow sequins or all white - for this procedure.  I'll Google it.  And the part about the sequins looking larger than in the photo, maybe it's just the way they were applied - a lot -vs- lightly?  Just thinking out loud.
Correct me if I'm wrong but making sure to smooth your fondant with a fondant smoother and making sure that your stencil is connected at the back (tightly) and making sure you use a light touch with the airbrush trigger - should work beautifully.  Also, greasing the back of the stencil (very lightly) sounds like it would also work.
Most of us wouldn't have the guts to show you our first cake.  Yours is a lot better than my first and you nailed the fleur delis.  With each cake you get batter and better and gain more and more knowledge.  Baby steps and pretty soon you'll be running.  Don't give up.  If you do, then cake decorating isn't for you.  And you're right, each time it's hard, but that's where the challenge is. 
Most of us wouldn't have the guts to show you our first cake.  Yours is a lot better than my first and you nailed the fleur delis.  With each cake you get batter and better and gain more and more knowledge.  Baby steps and pretty soon you'll be running.  Don't give up.  If you do, then cake decorating isn't for you.  And you're right, each time it's hard, but that's where the challenge is.