Posts by MooieKatooie

I LOVE the "pulling names out of a hat" idea! That is so cute. And, having some of them on wires like they were sort of already pulled out would be great, too. I knew someone (or two) out there in CC land would have the perfect idea. I know they're decorating the nursery in black and white French toile fabric, so I think I could even pull off a hatband/bow that mimics that pattern.Thanks, everyone!
I agreed to make a baby shower cake for some very good friends. The theme of the shower is "Name That Baby!". (The basic idea is that during the shower guests suggest names for the baby, trying to be as off the wall as possible and knowing that the names won't actually get used.)I have no idea what to make. The baby is a girl, but the couple is a little non-traditional (meaning they're not into pink and florals and all the usual cutesy baby things). Anyone out there...
I use a large piece of clear vinyl to roll my fondant out, too. I love it -- it's larger and easier to work with than the Wilton mat. If you have the Wilton mat, you can place it under your clear vinyl to use its size markings (very handy). As for thickness...You don't want the vinyl to be too thin. If it is, then it's more difficult to get the fondant off of it and if you use it to lift and move the fondant (say, to cover a cake), you're more likely to get creases or...
For the Vegas wedding cake challenge, taste was part of the judging. This was the one where the engaged couple who won the Food Network Throws a Wedding contest were guest judges (with Giadia DeLaurentis and Warren Brown, and one other I think). The competitors had to do a tasting as well as create the actual cake. The winning cake was served at the couple's wedding the next day, so the tasting cake had to be the same cake/icing as the competition masterpiece. I...
Absolutely! I don't have a KA, so I've made it several times by hand. I start out using my silicone spatula to mix the hot marshmallow mixture with the powdered sugar, and then I just dig in with my hands to finish it up. Be sure to grease your hands really well with Crisco.
In a pinch, I've used the Wilton cookie sticks (that they sell to make cookie bouquets).
I used the durable cake (http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1972-1-Durable-Cake-for-3D-and-Wedding-Cakes.html) this past weekend to make a carved cake from one of Debbie Brown's books. I'd heard the cake recipe in her books is very dry. The durable cake was very good -- moist and dense, but not as much as a pound cake. Plus, just like any basic recipe, you can adjust the flavoring if you like to create an almond, lemon, chocoloate, etc. version. Karenelli is right...
Here's what I'm thinking...Ice the 8" round cake in buttercream (with small bead borders at top and bottom and a vertical stripe design using my basketweave tip on the sides). Then, I'll crumb coat and completely cover the sports ball in roses. I want the effect of a large ball of flowers sitting on top of the cake (kind of like a bouquet without the stems).The downside is, all those roses are going to make the sports ball very heavy, and they will take up space around...
Has anyone stacked a sports ball pan on top of a 2-layer 8" cake? I've tried using the pans to get an idea how it would look, and I can't decide if a 6" diameter ball is too big for that size cake. What do y'all think?Also, do I need a board under the ball or can I just stack it directly onto the top of the 8" tier? I have to transport it, so I'm going to dowel under the ball and do a center dowel, just to be safe. Would I need a board between the 8" and the ball, too?
In the last issue of American Cake Decorating (with the Texas A&M hat on the cover), the decorator used this texture on the ribbon around the hat. It looked like he used a threaded rod/bolt with no end cap. You can get them at the hardware store - very cheap - and in various lengths. It would make the gros-grain texture.