Posts by ranae

I love this thread! I really only decorate cakes for family and friend birthdays, but deciding which cake flavors and fillings to use is part of the enjoyment. The fancier the better! My twins have a birthday coming up, and they want a lemon cake with raspberry filling....thinking I may have to add a little white chocolate ganache or cheesecake filling in there too. YUM! Thanks for the inspiration!
This is basically the same design as my own wedding cake (not made by me). http://www.weddingandcakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/church-wedding-cakes.jpg It is made with a Wilton kit (cathedral, currently retired, but I did see it on eBay), if that is the sort of thing you're looking for.
So, this morning, I tried to open up my saved photos to print one off that I'd planned to reference when making my dd's fairy b-day cake. Only, as many of you know, the whole saved photos thing has been "fritzy" today. First thing I did, was I searched my computer and managed to find the image link in my history. Then I googled the image name with the decorator's user name. Instead of clicking to open the file, I clicked on "cached" and the image popped up. YAY! Hope...
I'm googling, and it looks like my problem is not fixable. Guess I'll have to make another batch....
I just make a batch of mmf, and it's way too thick. Is there any way to fix it? Add more marshmallows? More liquid? Corn syrup? Something? Interestingly, I've made this recipe before with no problems at all, so I'm not sure what happened this time.....
Thanks for the ideas. Normally I do make a crusting buttercream, but for this cake, I followed the instructions in the article on CC, and used the recommended recipe. I'm sure that works really well for some, but for whatever reason, I didn't have good luck with it. Probably because I'm just not used to it. Oh well, the girls loved the cake anyway! Guess I'll just have to keep practicing!!
I made a FBCT b-day cake for my dd's birthday, and when I placed the transfer on the cake, (my first FBCT) it cracked a little because it didn't sit flush on the icing. I tried piping the background color around the transfer to give it more support, but that got a little messy-looking. Every place I tried to smooth it, the black border around the transfer rubbed off. Any ideas to help the transfer not crack, or sit more flush on the cake, or to smooth the icing (which...
I agree. That's a BEAUTIFUL cake! Good luck with it!
white cake with the fresh strawberry filling (from CC recipes) is really good and easy. For my oldest dd's b-day last month I made a chocolate cake with cookies & cream filling (from CC recipes), and for my twins' b-day I made a white chocolate cake with white chocolate strawberry mousse.
Thanks for the praise and tips! Unfortunately, up close it looks rather smudgy. Definitely next time I'll use my regular buttercream recipe (I use the Class one except I use 1/2 butter 1/2 crisco). What I meant by the "bad 3-d effect" is that it actually started cracking a bit because it sat higher off the cake, and when I tried to pipe around the outer edge a bit to give it additional support, it just ended up looking smudgy. I guess I'll just have to practice a bit...