Posts by cakes4ck

I also have been trying different recipes.  My customers and my husband love my cakes...and they are from a box.  Have tried different scratch recipes and none have equaled the moistness of the box mix. Plus, needs to be able to be frozen and maintain moisture as I only have 1x a week to bake.   I also like a more dense cake with small crumb.  I don't want the airy or wholes between.  Anyhow, tried FromScratch (Beyond Buttercream) and loved it out of the oven.  Tried...
Redsoxgirl, The recipe you posted is a Hershey's recipe.  It is the Deep Dark Chocolate Cake in their cookbook.
I also am looking for a great chocolate recipe. Will give this one a try. Thanks!
Since this is square, what sizes would you do this cake in to get the look? 5,8,12,16? Or something different? 6,8,10,12 would overhang.
I have been asked to create a 4 tier buttercream wedding cake for a friend's daughter wedding. She wants it like the picture here with the tiers being turned. I have done this with 2 tiers, but not with 4. I also have never done a 4 tier cake. The highest I have done is 3 so a little apprehensive with this one. I plan to use a rod all the way through the cake from top to bottom and also dowel each layer. Is there a better method or any tips or tricks on this sort of...
Thanks to those who responded. It isn't that I have NO TIME for baking...it is just limited. I plan on trying out different recipes. However, there are literally hundreds. Sure no one has time to try out that many recipes....lol. I have made some cakes from scratch like texas, carrot and german chocolate since a young girl.I have searched here and online as well for recipes and have many saved that others like. But, this is a forum of other bakers/decorators to help...
So no one has a basic white or devils food cake scratch recipe you trust and use? Any help is much appreciated!
I have made cakes for 8 years and love the consistency I get with PB mixes. I also love how dense they are compared to other box mixes. I have looked at many recipes and so overwhelmed. I am a busy, busy mom and teacher and have limited baking time. Would like a scratch recipe for a white cake and also for a devil's food cake that I can modify for different flavors. I use PB for gourmet cupcakes and also stacked and carved cakes.BTW, I HATE DH cake mixes. And have...
I have tried searching for this already, but can't find a thread on what you all think is the best doctored box cake recipe to use for carving and 3d figures (Sure there is one). I have tried WASC in the past, but very moist. Is there a different recipe you use when you are doing these cakes? A pound cake maybe? Or is WASC really the best choice for flavor and consistency?
I'm sorry as I am sure this already discussed. But, I can't get the search feature to work. It just brings up everything. I made a bowling ball and need to make a soccer ball in the ball pan not the soccer ball pan. How do you get it to stay it's shape without falling? I assume you have to use a dense recipe. What do you all recommend?