Posts by PieceofCakeAZ

We have 2 full time decorators and last week we did 19 wedding cakes, which is pretty typical for us this time of year.  They aren't responsible for much baking but they do a couple of consultations each week and make buttercream and fillings too.  During our busy season we have to have at least 8 per decorator to help offset the slow times of the year (in AZ, that means the 105*-115* months, where we will do 12-15 weddings in an entire month). 
I always reply "and he's a handsome SOB too"
  Absolutely!   If you sell cakes, you are a business and you will be expected to act like a professional.  I can't tell you how many trips I have missed over the years because we had cakes due, it's part of the business.     Please don't take the advice to call the venue and ask to store it there for 2 days, not only will they say no because of the liability (they probably have an event on Saturday with 100+ people) but they may very well warn any bride that mentions...
Yep!   Definitely check out the iPad options.  Square even has one now that I saw in action and it looked to be very simple (and the owner said she loved it) and it's cheap compared to Bakesmart (although I am sure it's not nearly as feature rich).  I am in the process of comparing all of the iPad POS offerings for our retail opening in July.  Also check out Revel.  I am slightly leaning towards Shopkeep at this point but I am only in the beginning stages of my research....
I can't say for certain that the new CFL in AZ is the main cause for this, but I just found out that 3 of our shop owning competitors are trying to sell their businesses on Craigslist. 2 of the businesses are pretty popular as well. Another 2 long time storefront shops (open for over 20+ years each) have changed ownership in the last 8 months.It doesn't seem coincidental.
The sheer volume of new cake companies coming onto the scene is where it can really hurt an established inspected shop.In AZ in the last year over 1500 new legal bakers came onto the scene. The reach of a new baker used to be rather small, just close friends and family. Now over 51% of Americans have facebook accounts with an average friend count of 245. That's over 187,000 people that now have a "friend" that now makes cakes "professionally" in my state.If you have a...
I like that idea. I am always baffled when we receive requests for general pricing that come via contact form from our web site, the pricing link isn't remotely hidden. Of course people also pass over the stupidly large "Click here to schedule a tasting online" button in favor of going 1/2 inch lower and submitting a contact form that states "I'd like to schedule an appointment".
Wait a second, you mean when the supply of something increases exponentially, that the demand doesn't automatically increase by the same amount, based solely on the fact that there has been an increase in the supply?
Since this one got a little off track, I will go back and answer your question: It has affected us a little. Our direct business is down a couple of percent.I honestly expected it to be more dramatic. Our CFL is wide open, no inspections, you can run a pet sitting business and a cake business in your house of you want. Pass a food handlers test, give somebody a piece of paper with the ingredients on it and you are good to goWhen it started, In my head I was like, if a CFL...
There's only an inspection if there is a complaint.If someone has been operating from home before it was legal, they are unlikely to change anything and if caught it doesn't seem outside the realm of probability that they would say "our cream cheese frosting doesn't require refrigeration" if asked. Sure it's fraud, but baking illegally from home is a gateway crime. FYI Toffuti is disgusting. I only made that joke since you joked about cheesecakes, clearly if someone...