Posts by laneysmom

Love, love, love MBCs!!!! I've made both IMBC and SMBC and find the SMBC easier. In hot weather, I use it as filling and still use ABC for covering and decorating. MBCs are just delicious!!!!!
I bought a can of red because I didn't have time to order any. I didn't find it to be hard or crumbly at all. Quite the opposite. I dread what would've happened if I had microwaved it! I'm certain it would have liquified. I found the texture to be greasy and it smelled kind of like play-doh. At 19.99 for a 2-lb container, I was disappointed to say the least. In defense, I should sat that I was using it during a heatwave with 110% humidity, but the Satin Ice didn't...
Everybody has to start somewhere. Frankly, I give her credit for wanting to make the effort.
Weird to find this thread after I just had the exact same experience. Mind you, I have been using Satin Ice for a few years and have never had a problem--'til this weekend. I had a horrible time! Cracking, tearing, too thick, too thin! No matter what I did, nothing worked. I felt like I had never worked with fondant before. Never was I so happy to be a hobby baker instead of a pro. If I was getting paid for that cake, I don't know what I would have done!And I had...
There is a big difference between Italian meringue buttercream (IMBC) and the crusting decorator-type BC. Italian and Swiss meringue BCs start with a cooked syrup and egg whites (the method is different between the 2, but the concept is similar) to which butter is added, as opposed to using shortening and powdered sugar. To make chocolate Italian meringue BC, you make the IMBC, ans add melted, cooled chocolate to taste.Hope that helps!
Love Toba Garrett! Also, the International School of S ugar craft series by Nicholas Lodge is wonderful!
I know my husband would be THRILLED if I cleaned out the cake closet and sent this woman some of the things I don't use. He would probably volunteer to personally deliver the box! Maybe that's what she is hoping for. Who wouldn't like to cut start-up costs where they can? It never hurts to ask.
Aside from Wilton, there are a number of resources out ther to fine tune your decorating skills without matriculating into a degree/cert program. Most cake designers (Nicholas Lodge, Collette Peters, Toba Garrett, etc.) offer lessons (pricey and you may have to travel a bit, but what an experience!). And there are a number of pastry schools out there that have short-term programs (there's one in FL, but the name escapes me at the moment.)It all depends on your goals.
You've got to keep kneading until the marbelling is gone, adding small amounts of powdered sugar until you get the right texture. Adding gel colors adds moisture to the fondant, you've got to even that out. It takes practice to get the texture just right.
Silken tofu, maybe? Never tried it, but I know it's used alot in vegan baking.