Posts by funfoodie2

I'm delivering a two tiered hexagon barn cake tomorrow and the party is not until Sunday afternoon.Should I buy a regular shipping box and line it with foil? If I can find one big enough to place over an 18" round?
I have granite counters. We had just moved into the house less than a year and one of my in-laws did me the favor of cleaning without my consent and wiped my island, left it pretty wet and set my rattan basket decoration on top. Well, that pretty rattan basket's orange/red dye seeped right on in and I didn't see it until it was good and set. I can't tell you how much I wanted to cry and then beat the living blankety blank blank out of her! lolI took some Oxiclean and...
I've found a great lady that is renting me space in her commercial kitchen. She sharing her equipment and seems very supportive.Here is my dilemma. I now can advertise and expand my business. However, now that I have "overhead" per hour, I'm kinda freaking out about profit margins now.Example: 3 cakes = $245.00 I bake for 4 hours. I am estimating each cake to take at least 2 hours to decorate. That is 10 hours. So if I do all the work at the rental location, I'm...
I've found a great lady that is renting me space in her commercial kitchen. She sharing her equipment and seems very supportive.Here is my dilemma. I now can advertise and expand my business. However, now that I have "overhead" per hour, I'm kinda freaking out about profit margins now.Example: 3 cakes = $245.00 I bake for 4 hours. I am estimating each cake to take at least 2 hours to decorate. That is 10 hours. So if I do all the work at the rental location, I'm...
I've always wondered for those that have true bakeries/pastry shops the following...How much inventory do you typically carry?How much do you actually sell?How do much do you waste?How long do you leave it displayed?Do you discount or donate items that are close to expiring?I know this will depend on location and client base, but maybe just give percentages that apply to your business?
After debating whether to pursue opening my own shop, I decided to try to find a commercial kitchen instead.I approached a local establishment and was told that I can use the address, but not the actual kitchen/facility and my business name could not be displayed. This is based on the fact of liability and the expense they went through to establish their business. With which I am total agreement with as I have done my own research and soul searching and have a good idea...
Has anyone gone overseas (e.g. England) to attend week-long sessions in cake decorating and/or sugarcraft?I was looking into http://www.squiresschool.co.uk/home/ figuring I can combine a dream trip to England and cake school.Think I can write it off as a businesse expense too. lolI really want to expand my skills outside of the Wilton courses I already have taken.
My kids have always helped me bake since they could stand safely on a stepstool (wide plastic step). My son is almost 10 yrs old and my daughter is 7-1/2 yrs old now.A couple of years ago I called them down to help me bake cookies. I had a package mix that you just added eggs and water. Once they were on their steps and I pulled out the bag, my son says to me, "That's it? That's not baking cookies!" and went back upstairs and wouldn't come back down! lol Guess he...
Wow! Thanks for an awesome breakdown and description! That is a lot of work and energy. I love that they get to bake it from scratch! I would have pre-baked the mini cakes from a doctored mix myself to save time, but I'm rethinking that now!Thanks again!
bump for you and for me! I'd love to know too.