Posts by chinacat77

ohhh thank you for that link. first time ive heard of sweetwise...watched a bunch of her videos....now i want one of those vinyl mats!! lol. i never thought to use a cookie sheet to lift and layer the cake, i always use a cake board and sometimes they bend from the weight of the cake. i would love to know what recipe she uses, after leveling she folded her cake scraps like a piece of paper. lol!
I have yet to freeze a cake, but after all the reading i have been doing here on cc I am getting the idea that freezing is the way to go..this should help me considerably with larger sheet cakes! I have read quite a few posts on here about the dos and donts of freezing so i wont fear the process as much but I have this one burning question....I posted this question about a week ago...had 60 people read the post but not one replied 'how do you all get the top portion of...
??? anyone?? lol
I need help with getting the top portion onto the iced one.... my biggest fear/stress is always getting that top layer on. Yesterday i was placing a half sheet onto the iced cake and it ended up off sided and was a nightmare to try to move!! my cake is already in the top up position and I try to line it up and shake it off the board which never is easy because its moist and sticky and this method causes crumbs to fall everywhere. I know ive seen cake shows where they lay...
the directions are also in a little pamphlet inside the container, how to mix etc.....when you make the color flow it only requires powdered sugar and water but after you make it up you must keep it moist or it will dry up on you. just put a wet towel over the extra while you are not using it.
colorflow is basically like royal icing, its mostly used for decorations placed on cakes, it dries superhard but you are able to achieve intricate details by using small tips...like a 1 or 2 tip. you will just need a container of color flow (witon makes it), different tip sizes probably 1-5 depending on your design and parchment bags (although i have used the disposable deco bags before). so you print your image just like in a fbct but you dont have to reverse the image...
Hi, I have put fbct on fondant before and was successful but only on top. Im not sure if it would stay on the side, if its small....maybe! you could do a test run with a small fbct and lay some fondant over a pan and test it out.otherwise I would try colorflow. have you done colorflow before?? well it would normally lie flat to dry and takes a couple of days to get solid so make it in advance. but i would let it dry on the side of 'something curvy' think rounded like a...
i used brown fondant but you could use gumpaste if you need them to be firm. Mine was not much higher than the cake so they stayed upright. and i used the little wheel cutter from wilton to draw the line marks in the fence. trying to make each one different. put some etching at the top, make some lines shorter, some longer, put some 'wood knots' in there too by making oval rings inside one another. Then I mixed some brown icing color with a tiny bit of vodka and painted...
I need help with getting the top portion onto the iced one.... my biggest fear/stress is always getting that top layer on. Yesterday i was placing a half sheet onto the iced cake and it ended up off sided and was a nightmare to try to move!! my cake is already in the top up position and I try to line it up and shake it off the board which never is easy because its moist and sticky and this method causes crumbs to fall everywhere. I know ive seen cake shows where they lay...
wow, i love that technique. thanks for posting it! thats true sugar art right there