Posts by slejdick

I use 150g per cup that's called for in the recipe, so a full batch (6 cups of flour) would be 900g.hth!Laura.
oops, forgot to mention that after cutting, I do put the cookies in the fridge to firm up.I also have found that if I use a bit more flour than I think I need, my cookie dough is much easier to handle.Antonia74 posted once that she uses 150g of flour for each cup called for in the NFSC recipe. I weighed a cup of flour that I had been using, and it was only about 125 g. Adding the extra flour makes the dough firmer, easier to cut and work with, and (GASP!) I often don't...
I always bake my cutout cookies on parchment paper, and for the very detailed cutters, I have a method that works, although my friends laugh at me, LOL! I cut squares of parchment a bit larger than the cookie cutter, and roll out a small piece of dough on each one. I DO NOT chill the dough before cutting, as that IMO makes it more likely to get stuck in the cutter. I press the cutter into the dough, then lift straight up and the dough all stays on the parchment. I...
I use the large wilton cookie sheets, and I love them. I grew up on the old aluminum cookie sheets with no sides, and they were great because they didn't rust, but were rather thin and too small for the amount of cookie baking I do now at times. (Yes, I do still have the old ones, they're about 40-50 years old now and still work great, LOL!)I started getting the Wilton ones when I could at Michael's with the coupons. I got two to start out, and then decided I needed one...
Hope I'm not too late - I always use unsalted butter in my NFSC, and everybody loves them! I don't add any extra salt, just follow the recipe exactly.hth!Laura.
Be careful when converting that you're not mixing weight and volume measurements.It gets confusing, because in the American system, we use "ounce" to mean weight AND volume, and it's true that one liquid ounce of water weighs one ounce in weight. However, that's not true for other things! A cup of powdered sugar, for example, weighs about half as much a cup of granulated sugar, because it's less dense.Dividing the number of grams by 28 will give you the WEIGHT in ounces,...
I have a couple of "baby" cookie bouquets in my photos. I like to use different sizes of cookies for variety, and usually I do 8-10 medium sized cookies and then fill in with small (1 inch or so) circles that I can write on or decorate, to fill in the gaps.hth!Laura.
I don't get a lump, because if the dough lumps up, I smooth it back down before baking.When I put the stick in, I twist it as I push it in, and hold my hand on top of the dough to avoid it making a ridge.Sometimes I can still see a bit of an indentation or slight hump before decorating, but the icing covers it nicely!Laura.
I would highly recommend the No Fail Sugar Cookie recipe. You can find a link to it on this page, the "How to Bake & Decorate Cookies" tutorial:http://www.cakecentral.com/article54-How-To-Bake--Decorate-Cookies.htmlThere is also a good recipe for royal icing to decorate with, and Antonia74 shares her method for decorating as well. You can add extracts to the royal to add flavor to it. I've used lemon, orange, almond, vanilla and creme bouquet, and all have turned out...
You can always find her recipe in her tutorial on the articles page also (How to bake & decorate cookies), as well as tips on how to decorate with it.I love her icing, I hope you have fun with your cookies!Laura.