Posts by AnnieCahill

The owner of the bakery where I took cake decorating classes 15 years ago used a margarine and shortening combo for their icing.  From what I've heard, the Land O Lakes margarine is supposed to be decent.  I will probably never try it, though.   I think for some, using shortening serves a few purposes:   a) it cuts down on the cost of the recipe b) it cuts down on the "buttery" flavor of buttercream (lol) c) it can stabilize the icing so it won't melt down in summer...
What I do is add more heavy cream to the filling part and whip it on high speed for a few minutes so it's not as heavy and sweet.
For future reference, one of my most popular flavors is chocolate cake with Oreo buttercream filling.  I roughly break up the Oreos and mix them into some buttercream and put a thick layer of that in between the layers.  The chocolate cake is just plain chocolate.
The first thing that came to my mind when I saw those is that you over-beat the eggs. Also calibrate your oven to be sure it's baking at the proper temperature.
Amy Cozze left and then came back under a different name, but I haven't seen her post in a while.  You can find her on Facebook-she's in PA as well so you may reach out to her through FB and ask what happened.
I'll just say ditto to Morgan's answer.
Soft buttercream, flat scraper. Apply icing in excess and scrape off the extra. Practice makes perfect!
My vote is for Color Flow as well.
I think most are using the regular shortening.  Butter flavored is usually very artificial tasting.  That said, I use all butter and it works great, but sometimes in super hot weather I will add a very small amount of shortening to stabilize the buttercream a bit if it's going to be outside for an extended amount of time.
You over baked and I always keep mine in airtight containers before and after frosting. Air can dry out cake and icing, especially this time of year.