Posts by TickledPink

I stand corrected. I guess the way I read it I envisioned tasting the ganache and thinking it wasn't sweet enough and then adding sugar to it.About 99% of the time I use Ghiradelli's 60% dark chocolate for ganache and althought it's not super sweet (like milk chocolate can be) I think it balances out the sweetness of the cake. Everyone loves it.
I stand corrected. I guess the way I read it I envisioned tasting the ganache and thinking it wasn't sweet enough and then adding sugar to it.About 99% of the time I use Ghiradelli's 60% dark chocolate for ganache and althought it's not super sweet (like milk chocolate can be) I think it balances out the sweetness of the cake. Everyone loves it.
I have made tons of ganache, it's my favorite.I have NEVER whipped ganache, never needed to.For runny ganache - to sort of pour on top I use almost equal amounts of chocolate to hot heavy cream.For thicker ganache - the kind I want to spread with a knife - I use more chocolate to less cream. Maybe 16 oz chocolate to 1 cup of heavy hot cream.My secret is, I bring the cream to a slight boil so it's hot, then pour on top of the chocolate in a bowl, let set 10 min and just...
Yeah that one looks like it's done in white and white definitely shows up nicely.
I was talking about on top of chocolate fondant.I have searched top cake designers sites and no one has done this that I can find, so I am kinda skeptical that it shows up.I see plenty of pure white piping on dark ganache, but no gold. That is always on ivory or white fondant.
I have a friend who wants me to make her wedding cake and she loves the ivory or white cakes we see with the scroll work that is gold and copper. (painted on royal icing with luster dust)But she wants the entire cake to be chocolate, covered in chocolate ganache and then chocolate fondant.... and then have the scrollwork. I've seen white scrollwork that shows up on dark backgrounds but I still have yet to see a dark or chocolate fondant cake with gold scrollwork, does it...
I didn't notice my fondant being harder but I thought it was more flexible without any of the cracking.But then again I use a little bit more water than the original MMF recipe so mine isn't as dry if that makes sense.
You can brush it on dry... a nice makeup style blush brush works really well. I've used them.
I made the large batch of MMF with a 16 oz bag of marshmellows... then I added about a tablespoon of glycerine and a tablespoon of xantham gum to the wet melted marshmellows before I added and worked in the 10X sugar.
The last 2 times I have made MMF fondant I added about a tablespoon of glycerine and a tablespoon of gum from the health food store. It was much more pliable and easier to work with. None of the cracking I had experienced on previous attempts.I also made it in my Kitchenaid with the dough hook. It was EASY !!! and I didn't have the huge mess. Took minutes to do.