Posts by tobycat

Thank you so much! This is good news indeed! I am so excited to find out that I can get this again. People who have never tried it cannot know the difference between how it reacts in a crusting butter cream vs crisco! (And, yes, I know that this stuff is gross, but ultimately, it's what is needed to make the crusting bc.) So, thank you all again!   Tobycat
Thank you, thank you!   :)
Oh really? How were you able to buy the regular Sweetex at a cake supply shop? (and I know it says I'm in Eagle Idaho, but we are in CA now) The only cake store we have here says they aren't allowed to sell it. I was under the impression that I couldn't buy it or have it shipped to CA at all! If that's the case, then I will definitely order some tonight! Jason, what is the name of the Orange County shop you bought it at? Maybe I can call them.   Thank you so much...
Appreciate all the replies. Thank you all very much. A couple of points of clarification....   The ONLY thing I use the hi-ratio shortening for is for my crusting butter cream, which I don't think you can make with just straight butter. That is the problem...and I should have been clearer because here's the issue...   1. It doesn't crust the same without the transfat....it gets FLAKEY, which I hate.   2. It doesn't smooth the same....and if I WERE to use REAL...
Help! A couple of years ago, California made trans-fat ILLEGAL in CA. Now I cannot buy hi-ratio shortening here, and I cannot have it shipped here either. Any ideas what I can use in its place? Oh, and not even our Crisco is allowed to have trans-fat!   I HATE the way my frosting tastes and acts now!!!!! It's almost made me leave cake decorating -- almost! lol.   Please if anyone is from CA and has found a way to duplicate what we have lost without the transfat,...
Yup, just practice using your rounded spatula knife - a medium to small blade. The nice thing is that it's really hard to mess this one up!
There is an excellent shoe tutorial on youtube about doing just this. She used modeling chocolate as the base for the heel. She said you you should let it set as long as possible, like a week, BUT that because the chocolate sets faster, you could even use it the next day. Long story short - Use the modeling chocolate. It will work fine by Saturday. I've used it before too, and it does set pretty darn quickly.
I have to agree that a thin piece of gumpaste or fondant is the way to go with this one. Painting would be a potential mess and 1/2! These shouldn't be too hard if you roll it thin enough.
It could be that they rubbed in a lot of Crisco...
Though it's not the most sophisticated icing, I'm a fan of the Wilton 1/2 and 1/2 with a touch of violet added to make it super white. This icing WILL NOT MELT, but you really need to be an expert at the Viva or Melvira method to make it come out awesome. Everyone loves it though because of the real butter that's in it.