Posts by dandy207

I have made both 3d and 2d boots. The 3d ones were made using fondant with a bit of gumtex added for stiffness. I rolled a piece of fondant into a cylindrical shape and then sort of worked at it until it was a boot shape. It takes some time and patience. I let those dry for a couple days then secured them to the cake using royal. The 2d boots are super easy! Just make yourself a boot shaped template out of paper. Roll out your fondant(Pre mixed with gumtex of course so it...
In the bakery I work at there is a cafe and a bake house, two seperate buildings. I find I'm often in the bakehouse by myself and everyonce in awhile I wish some one were there to keep me company but for the most part I enjoy the quiet! I listen to pandora and do my 'thing'. I think I work best when I AM by myself, that's when the artist in me kicks in. I do get plenty of social time when people are picking up their cakes or I am one on one in a consult. So it all evens out.
I know many decorators know each other, wether it be home/hobby or professional decorators. I work as a decorator in Eatonville wa. And this year has been terrible for my health(back problems). I am hoping someone may have a recommendation for me, as I need a back up person or someone to come in and help 'on call'. I realize this may not be the best place to ask this type of a question, but Craigslist has not been helpful. Thanks in advance ladies! A little more info......
Anyone who could help me out here I would appreciate it SOO much! I acquired a job as cake decorator( the only cake decorator and only person in the whole bakery with cake experience) in April. I have only held one job as a decorator and this was at a bakery that only did buttercream cakes. They used wooden dowels and cardboard rounds for their wedding cake support and put their cakes in the freezer to harden up for delivery. Which in turn would cause them to sweat as you...
Hopefully someone can make me feel better, I am doing this cake pictured, only its not stacked, just seperated tiers. I havent had a ton of luck with wedding cakes. The cake is to be picked up tomarrow (fri.), the wedding isnt till sat. I am letting the cakes thaw out in the fridge so they dont sweat. before I am doing the black. But I did do one already that was in the freezer crumb iced, I iced it over and then did the black, now I am worried I should have waited. I use...
Im worried it wont look neat around the square edges. Would it help to use royal icing to hold it to the cake? I use crusting buttercream, and the ribbon doesnt stick well to it. Thanks!
Heres my advice---I had a friend do this to me. She wanted a 'princess castle cake' for her daughters 3rd birthday. But she wanted to help, She mentioned this AFTER I told her what the price was. She threw in the 'OH , It will just be more sentimental if I can help make it' Crap. So I know where you are coming from.The best thing to do is to be honest and be blunt. But in a nice way. I told her that I work best on my own and cant teach someone while trying to give my...
you are dissapointed??!??!?!!! seriously lady,, that is some awesome work!! It looks wonderful, you should be so proud!!
I used to use bettercream at dairyqueen on the cakes when i worked there. You can keep it out for most of the day at room temp and it will keep. It kept nicely in the fridge for quite awhile. I wouldnt worry too much unless your only unsing it weeks at a time. I would think it would keep for at LEAST a couple months. I dont know what the other buttercreams taste like , but bettercream tastes sort of like a thicker whipped cream. About the same sweetness. Very mild and not...
Im just curious to what everyone uses and where they get them. I have used plywood, and cake drums bought from micheals. I hate using the cardboard singles as they tend to bend. But I see all these great thick cakeboards with ribbon tied around the bottom and so on. Where do you get your boards? I know alot of people do use foam core, but where do I get this stuff? What do you cover your board with when you 'sugar' your board or cover the base in fondant? Also, isnt it...