Posts by crazycakes22

I'm not sure yet. If I go with an 10" square two layer that's 18 cups of batter. I am looking for a good template to print out now to see if a 10'' square will be big enough to carve out the M. A 10" serves 30 according to wilton charts but once I carve away I get confused on how to calculate. I absolutely suck at math!!!! It's embarrassing but true!
How do you all figure out your cake servings on a carved out cake? I've never had to figure out servings on my creations that were sculpted because they have always been for my family. It's obviously easy on traditional cakes because wilton has provided us with those lovely charts. I was asked to do the University of Michigan M logo carved out of cake. I plan on printing out some template for myself to use to carve it out. I just don't know if I can realistically make one...
Oh yeah! I'll be making five separate batches! Just worried about getting each batch to look the same!! My measurements have or to be spot on!!! That worries me just a bit because I'm wanting no complaints on color being off. I usually airbrush for consistency but never mixed airbrush colors to achieve another color and match a swatch. So I'll be busy today experimenting with coloring.
I am trying to match off a swatch and I've never had to do this before. The color is Malibu blue from David's bridal. It looks kinda like turquoise but with slight difference in color. I bought some crystal color to use(which I've never used before) along with several shades of blue gel colors and airbrush colors to experiment with. I'm little worried about getting consistent colors for all my batches of fondant I'm making. I will measure the amount of color I add and...
Thanks for your helpful suggestions! I will definately use them. I'm actually getting ready to start the baking process right now. I hope it all works out
I am sure this topic has been talked about many times but I couldn't find my answer yet and I have to start baking tomorrow night. So I was wondering if anyone has some advice on baking 2 flavors of cake in one pan side by side. My client wants a 12x18 sheet cake and she wants one half chocolate fudge and the other half butter recipe--both are mixes. I planned on pouring the batters in at the same time so they would eventually run together in the middle of the pan. I just...
I just put my in the fridge and it makes it a little harder but be careful with the condensation. I don't know if you have engough time to make another out of gumpaste Gumpaste dries very quickly!I had that same problem so I make all my bows or other accents that need to hold their shape out of gumpaste or a gumpaste/fondant mix.I hope that helps. Goodluck!!!
Thanks Indydebi for your reply. It is funny you use the cars as a comparison because my husband sells cars here in Lafayette, IN and he totally agrees with you. He sells Toyota's and people always complain that they cost so much more than a Chevy or Ford, but he has to explain the difference in the product they are paying for. I know people are not used to custom cakes around here. Everyone that has seen my cakes say they have never seen anything like it or know of anyone...
Well after figuring out my cost on the cake and an estimate of how much time it will take me I was going to quote the lady $150 for the cake. She wants it to be a two layer 12x18 sheet cake filled with a strawberry cream cheese filling on on half and the other half filled with my butter cream/cream cheese icing. She wants the graduation cap cake on top and she was very specific that the little fondant girl figurine had to have sandy blonde hair with hightlights. So I...
I color my fondant as I am making it. It is much easy and you can avoid using to much gel coloring which will cause you problems with the fondant tearing and cracking. Another suggestion is to airbrush your fondant or you can paint your fondant with thinned out gel coloring. But I have had your issue before and I had to wrap my fondant back up and let it sit for awhile because the kneading had softened it up to much. Just don't let your fondant sit uncovered because that...