Posts by Price

I've just come back to CC after being away for a long time. I love figure modeling! Do you add Tylose powder to your fondant? It really helps with getting the fondant smooth and gives it more body. Practice makes perfect . Take a 1 " ball of fondant that you have added Tylose to, put a very small amount of Crisco on yor hands and roll the fondant. Experiment by using different pressure on the fondant and you will soon see what it takes to get it smooth. Build your...
My credit card has been compromised twice in 1 month.  I just placed an order with GSA last week and I received my purchases on 11/21.  On 11/23  I received notice from my CC company someone tried to use my card at a Game Stop in Texas.  My order was phoned into them it was not placed over the internet.  
I think your cake looks pretty good!  How thick is your layer of buttercream under the fondant?  You don't want it to be too thick.  I refrigerate my cakes before covering with fondant.  It makes you buttercream firm and it's easier to smooth your fondant without the buttercream moving underneath of it.  I still have problems with getting air bubbles under the fondant, I haven't mastered that yet!
You can use modeling chocolate and use a veining tool to draw lines and make it look like hair.  
The recipe I just used was 1 lb. coating chocolate, 1/3 cup +1 Tbsp. corn syrup and 1/2 tsp. glycerin.  The modeling chocolate turned out great.  I stored mine on the kitchen counter wrapped in 2 layers of plastic wrap.  It has to be kneaded a little to soften before using it.  This recipe gave me a great chocolate for modeling figures.  I haven't tried covering a cake with it, but I think the consistency would have worked fine for covering cakes as well a...
I like finely crushed sugar cookies for the sand. I also heat the piping gel for a few seconds in the microwave. It makes it more liquidly to pour or brush on and will stiffen back up when it dries.
I use Satin Ice with Tylose Powder added to make it easier to work with and harden quicker. I made a Bride and Groom using Satin Ice and Tylose and had no problems with them. Some people like a 50/50 mixture of Fondant and Gumpaste. I have also used that and it works well, but most of the time I just use the Satin Ice with Tylose.
Yes ribbon will absorb the grease from buttercream. You can cut some parchment or waxed paper the size of the ribbon and place behind it. I attach with melted chocolate.
I just want to say Linda Shonk is great. I was having trouble covering a large cake with Choco-Pan. It kept tearing before I could get the cake covered. I was stressed over it because I had promised a friend that I would use it on her wedding cake. I met Linda at the Great American Cake Show and explained the problem I was having. She was so kind to talk to me, give me some really good advice and then gave me a sample. She told me to take it home and play with it and...
I like to use Satin Ice with Tylose powder added. Some people like to use a 50/50 mix of gumpaste and fondant. If I am making a person I like to make the body and head and let them both sit awhile before putting them together. When adding the arms I attach them to the body as soon as I make them and use cotton, paper towels or something to support them until they dry in position.I have been wanting to try usind modeling chocolate but haven't had the time to play with it...