Posts by SophisticatedSweets

I have this fabulous idea for a skull dead head cake for Halloween but I am trying to figure out the logistics of the process. I want a smooth skull base and was thinking a hard white chocolate would be perfect. Will a good white chocolate harden over buttercream? I'm thinking the moisture from the buttercream won't allow it to harden or the buttercream/chocolate will slide off. Am I correct on this?Secondly, if I bypassed the buttercream and just coated the cake with...
I was looking through cake photos for ideas on 30th anniversary cakes and came across a cake where the author stated it had a Raspberry Swirl Cheesecake Filling. I immediately knew that this would be a perfect addition to the cake I was making (although I am thinking of using strawberries instead as I am having finding raspberries locally and am topping the cake with strawberries)! Does anyone happen to have a recipe for this filling they are willing to share?Also, I was...
Thank you so much, Bakingangel!! I tried to see if there was a thread, but couldn't find one. Maybe I am hitting up the search option the wrong way. I am going to check that thread out!@corpsequeen! *lol* Me too!! I watched the video at least five times all while telling my husband to look, look, look! I sooo want to try to tip a cake upside down. Not over my kitchen floor though. :p@Sorelle- Good luck!! I hope to see pictures once you are done with that cake. @Conchita-...
I was surfing the net for ideas on how to stabilize a cake I am delivering tomorrow, as the client doesn't want it assembled on site, and I came across cake stackers (cakestackers.com). Oh.Em.GEEEeee!! I dunno if they really work as notated, but if they do I NEED THEM! Has anyone on here ordered them at all? If so, do they REALLY live up to that youtube vide she has posted where she is flinging the cake around?Ooooh this would totally revolutionize my business! I have a...
Thank you all for the support; this has been irking me all day long! I must be more naive to the world and it's people than I thought. I could never imagine trying to pull a stunt like this. I can be a tough cookie when I want to be but but this is just unfathomable. I try to be a good person and for someone to pull this on me...I just cannot get it out of my head. This single incident makes me second guess everything I am doing; kind of the straw that broke the camels...
I worked on a 3-tier Hello Kitty themed cake from 9pm last night until 4am this morning and then was back up at 8:30am to put final touches on it until 10am. Before delivering the cake I uploaded pictures online to rave reviews. When I delivered the cake I was informed that the cake was ugly, my skills were not up to par and she was now going to have to go to WalMart to buy sheetcakes because this cake was NOT the image she wanted at her party. She then offered $25 for "my...
She decided to elope and wanted a simple cake...but then she saw the 4-tiers. Overall, it was a really, really simple cake. Just smooth buttercream with wrap around ribbons and one bow. I made some edible gems to match her "bling" theme and that was it. It took longer to bake it all then it did to decorate it. I love wedding cakes, but they really are not my strong point. If she wanted complex, there was no way I could have done it. I do, however, think she is going to...
I get this way, too. I took a last minute 4-tier wedding plus grooms cake for today, a 3-tier hello kitty cake for tomorrow and a baby shower cake for Sunday. I was so excited to do them all, but now? I have a case of the don't wannas. Was up at 7am this morning to start the wedding/grooms cake. I baked, decorated, assembled, etc all day and just started tomorrow's Hello Kitty, which has to be delivered at 10am, a few hours ago. Waiting on the cakes to cool so I can get to...
Wow. I think I'd be running for the hills. I agree with OP...she is setting you up for a refund!Sometimes I panic about the possibility of flaws...or things not being "just right." But then my hubby and everyone else gently reminds me it is an edible medium. It is meant to be eaten not left on the front table for months to come. No one notices "flaws." Well, except other cake bakers! (haha)But as scp1127...how do you judge handmade art? What you deem to be perfect she...
I am working a last minute, four-tier wedding cake for tonight. It is pretty simple...white buttercream and the tiers alternating with black or pink wrap around ribbon. For the topper we are doing a silver, blingy B and there is going to be some edible gems for more bling sprinkled on the tiers edges. My question is, the cake board. Do you think I should go with a basic black board with a hot pink ribbon on the outside and then a few gems? Or maybe a mirror board to...