Posts by grama_j

"If she doesn't want fondant you're not going to get the same shiny effect on buttercream"Sorry to disagree, but I don't use fonant except for accents....... pearl spray or super dust does VERY well on crusted butter cream.........
MamaDear......... WHAT A GREAT IDEA ! Consider it STOLEN !
For very small pearl size, I use the wide end of a decorator tip...... they are sharp, and each cut is the same........ just roll them up and you have pearls or balls.......
I'm pretty sure it does NOT desolve, and that is why I don't use it...... when I think butter CREAM, I want smooth and creamy not biting down on something crunchie....... for sparkle, I use edible glitter, or shake on a little disco dust.......
I made one a couple of years ago........ it worked out fine...... The Mom sent me a picture of the little guy when he saw the cake for the first time........ Open mouth and wide eyes...... I put it in my portfoilio.......http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1437500/vinnys-4th-birthday
Here is a ton of them........http://www.google.com/search?q=victorian+wedding+cakes&hl=en&qscrl=1&nord=1&rlz=1T4GZAB_enUS437US437&site=webhp&prmd=imvns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=MOQKT4PZCMXZ0QGA0OjKAg&sqi=2&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1440&bih=688
Actually, Kakeladi, if you don't have someone to hold that divider, it is much easier to do it your way, and I LOVE being the one to get a piece of that center where the two flavors meet.... you get a little of both !! LOL!
HI! They make dividers for that purpose, but I measure the width of the pan, tear off a rather large sheet of foil, and fold it to that width, and the height of my pan, which is usually two inches. When you are done folding the foil, you should have a flat piece of foil that is 2" tall times how ever wide your pan is.Like a two inch tall ruler.( you didn't say how large the pan was) It helps if you have another person hold the divider while you pour wlhite batter into one...
You might find something in here......... Just think BUTTERCREAM............
You might also want to think about transport of such a large cake....... even if you set it up at the venue, that torted 18" cake is going to be HEAVY.......