Posts by salsaman42

Here's another great forum http://www.wilton.com/forums/categories.cfm?catid=3
Hi there! I am in Ohio (also a man) I believe most of my business comes from my website and word of mouth. I am a licensed home baker, and I primarily make wedding cakes. If your product is good, like mine, your product at a reception is a huge part of the word of mouth. Also, once you get pictures of wedding cakes on your site, that's all those clients will need to see. You may have to make a few dummies to get your first pictures for your site. My site is...
The first 3 years of my cake business I had people in my home doing consults & tastings (one party at a time) People tasted, planned their cake & picked my brain for 2 hours a lot of the time. Then near the end when I asked if they would like to book, I'd hear, we have 2 or 3 more tastings to do before we decide, or some other reason. This happened about half of the time. Even though I knew that was always a possibility, as the years wore on it got harder to conceal my...
The first 3 years of my cake business I had people in my home doing consults & tastings (one party at a time) People tasted, planned their cake & picked my brain for 2 hours a lot of the time. Then near the end when I asked if they would like to book, I'd hear, we have 2 or 3 more tastings to do before we decide, or some other reason. This happened about half of the time. Even though I knew that was always a possibility, as the years wore on it got harder to conceal my...
In Ohio, done it. I cleaned & scrubbed every square inch of our kitchen, he looked around for 2 minutes or less, I think he opened the oven and/or fridge and it was done. No pets or carpet in the kitchen, I actually have carpet in the non cooking end of our kitchen & it was not an issue. He only comes ONE time, unless there is a complaint.
Here's what I do, the butter creams and cake pcs I keepp frozen. The fillings in the fridge. I don't know how you girls find time to make special little cakes.
You need a license to become a licensed home bakery through the Dept of Agriculture call 614-728-6250 to schedule an inspection. Only requirements are no pets in the home and no carpet in the kitchen. They only came one time unless they have a complaint. You have to renew the licence every year at $10 a year, through the mail. One guy cames & looks at your kitchen, just clean it up good.   If you name your business you need a Ficticious name/original filing document,...
Same price as wedding cakes, usually other events are more work than wedding cakes.
I bought my 20qt hobart on ebay for about $750
I did almost 30, 4 inch square cakes stencilled on all 4 sides in June. I will NEVER do square centerpiece cakes again, ONLY round.