Posts by momoopatiowa

I have made so many 1/2 & 1/2 cakes. I mix one flavor, then prop up one end of the pan with a folded dish towel and pour it in. Then I mix the other flavor and as I start to pour this flavor into the propped up pan, I pull the dish towel out from under the pan. Works every time.Pat in WDM, IA
How do you guys score your sheet cakes? I always like to do that as it shows the cake cutter where to cut. It also helps me when I put s decoratio on each "piece". It looks more symmetrical. I currently use waxed dental floss. It works well, except I have to go back around the edges and smooth over the score marks.Thanks for your help,Pat
I have made many Barbie cakes using the Pyrex bowl. I also bake another layer in a flat bottom stainless steel mixing bowl because she has such long legs, the Pyrex bowl is not quite deep enough. I cut a hole in the "mountain" cake and also one in the small layer. Then I insert the doll all the way into the two cakes until her toes touch the cake board. Then I fill up the hole with icing around her hips. If you don't so this, your icing "dress top" will separate from...
I have made many Barbie cakes using the Pyrex bowl. I also bake another layer in a flat bottom stainless steel mixing bowl because she has such long legs, the Pyrex bowl is not quite deep enough. I cut a hole in the "mountain" cake and also one in the small layer. Then I insert the doll all the way into the two cakes until her toes touch the cake board. Then I fill up the hole with icing around her hips. If you don't so this, your icing "dress top" will separate from...
My freehand writing skills are awful (at best) . I have seen so many pretty cakes on this site that look spectacular with writing on them. Some look like calligraphy. How can I get that look to put on buttercream frosting? I have several graduation cakes coming up and I am always afraid I will run out of room writing Congratulations!!! I appreciate any help with this.Pat Clayton
Thanks guys for all your help. The cupcake and graham cracker idea is a great one.I knew you guys would have some super ideas.Pat Clayton
Plastic graduation caps in burgundy or gold for a cake topper? I have a graduation reception I am making two cakes for. The school colors are maroon and gold. The girls will wear the maroon caps and gowns and the boys will wear the gold. If I tint the frosting these colors and put on the cake , they will taste awful!! I know because I did a cake last year for the same school!!The only place I have been able to find both colors (one is golden yellow but it may have to...
Betty Crocker definitely. I used to use either Betty Crocker or Pillsbury, but Pillsbury changed their formula about a year ago and every cake I baked would fall in the center. I contacted them and complained and they sent me.... you guessed it: coupons for their cake mix!!!!Pat
I am doing a wedding next month. Bottom tier is 10" dummy with 8" on top of dummy, then separator plates with shortest pillars and 6" cake on top. The bride wants to use the "Elegance" cake topper by Wilton. It seems rather heavy. Of course I will dowel the 8" but do you think I need to dowel the 6".Thanks for you help,Pat
I am doing a wedding and started the cakes this morning. I had a 12" X 18" in white I needed to bake. I used the heating core. I have used it once before with no problems, but today, it looks like a bomb got dropped on the cake. The middle rose really high around the core, and the edges were a lot lower. Also, I used the bake rite strips on this pan. It loked like the broken middles were slighly burned. I had my oven at 350 degress. Was it too hot? What happened?...