Posts by hsmomma

I'd definitely keep them. This year we did at least 10 of the fountain/pillar type wedding cakes. Usually just one or two a year. You just never know. Some of the brides that booked us to do those type of cakes were younger. Vintage is very "in" right now. And that style is just now being deemed "vintage"
Well, since you already offered to do it as a gift...I think you should. 200 + servings (while a big cake) is not an overly large wedding. What I think you should do is say "I didn't realize your wedding is so large...how about if I do a 3 tier wedding cake with the rest of the servings in sheet cakes that will be cut and plated from the venues kitchen. I haven't really done cakes larger than that...and I definitely want to be comfortable with what I am doing". Just be...
Lots of times the tents are air conditioned now...check with them. Obviously, I mean the full sided tents. Ask your couple prior to going. Might alleviate some of your worry.
Michael's and Joann stores sell the jumbo muffin tins (if you buy remember to use your 40% off coupon).I have used the larger papers in the regular size muffin tins. Like you described, the jumbo papers fan out. I found when I baked them in regular size muffin tins...they ended up fanning out a bit while they baked. It worked though...they are a different shape then the ones that I bake in jumbo tins. The jumbo tins "hold" the top part of the papers in a bit more. I...
Just out of curiousity...how do you do gluten or nut free from a rented commercial kitchen? Wouldn't there be possibility from cross examination from the counters, equipment and even in the air? You would have no control over what else was baked in that kitchen since it is not your own. Much like when food is labeled that a product was made in a factory where nuts may have been processed. Just think about it...before you get too far in based on a particular niche.
Seems like the biscuit part would crumble. I wonder if you can convince her to do individual desserts. I've done a large strawberry shortcake type of wedding cake a couple of times. But, I use my pound cake recipe ~ which holds together beautifully. I believe there might be pictures in my "photos".Good luck!edit to add: I have an example on page 5 in my photos. That one has raspberries too. But, you get the idea. I've done it with all strawberries, without problems.
I love fresh flowers on my cakes. I email the florist a sketch of the cake (just like the bride got) and tell them I prefer loose flowers. If they are just providing flowers for the top, then I don't care if it's in a dish and I usually just tell them the topper size instead of emailing a sketch. We work out a delivery time to the venue. I arrive and set up the cake and then can add the flowers. I prefer them loose so I can arrange them how I feel they best suit the...
The brick deck ovens were about 4' long and 2 1/2' deep. The top to bottom inside height was around 8"We sold the store otherwise I would measure them for you. They worked wonderfully! When we opened our new studio...I missed them terribly. We have since bought a new convection oven (a LG oven...less commercial but, after 100 + weddings this summer...I can tell you that it is a workhorse.) We debated whether to buy a new deck oven or a commercial oven. This was...
The brick ovens were about 4' long and 2 1/2' deep. The top to bottom inside height was around 8"We sold the store otherwise I would measure them for you. They worked wonderfully! When we opened our new studio...I missed them terribly. We have since bought a new convection oven (a LG oven...less commercial but, after 100 + weddings this summer...I can tell you that it is a workhorse.) We debated whether to buy a new deck oven or a commercial oven. This was actually...
The brick ovens were about 4' long and 2 1/2' deep. The top to bottom inside height was around 8"We sold the store otherwise I would measure them for you. They worked wonderfully! When we opened our new studio...I missed them terribly. We have since bought a new convection oven (a LG oven...less commercial but, after 100 + weddings this summer...I can tell you that it is a workhorse.) We debated whether to buy a new deck oven or a commercial oven. This was actually...