Posts by 1234me

I understand what you are saying but the two professions are very similar.  It is talent they as photographers have just like we cake decorators have a talent.  Some are better than others.  Some have better quality pictures than others.  They have factors that play into their cost just like we do (equipment, computer software for editing, the cost of the CD's, cost of props, etc)  But when it comes down to it, it is a business based on a product - their's the picture,...
I know I undercharge.  I will soon take a hiatus from cakes for a few months and hope to reevaluate some things and make some changes to my business and my prices.   I have seen many posts on Facebook lately by photographers who offer mini sessions for holidays - 20 minute sessions with a cute Easter backdrop, Valentine backdrop, props, etc.  In my area, these sessions are $75-$95 for 20 minute sessions in which the clients get a cd with 7- 10 edited pictures!  WOWSER -...
you will be making  less profit on her cakes which will take away time from your more-profit cakes.  Sounds to me like that is reason enough to say no!  You are a business, not a charity!
I am like you in that I feel guilty for anything negative I might send to people.  But there comes a point where you have to look at the big picture.  This woman expects you to put her family (sons) before your own and that is just all kinds of wrong.  She obviously wouldn't do the same if she was in the same situation.  You need to ignore her messages and be thankful you turned her away because she sounds like she will be a big problem if you did go through with the...
make sure the fondant is not too thick because if it is, it will not attach well and may slide down the cake.
I bake out of my home and have for the past 7 years. (Legal where I live). I have been very successful and I am booked up months in advance. I chose to go into this field after being a stay at home mom and my children went into school. It was a dream of mine to be this successful and I thank God for that everyday. But it is time for a change. I want my life back. I don't want all this responsibility. I want free time to do what I want. I have discussed this with my...
you have said several times you make figures with fondant but honey, making figures and covering a cake in fondant are two different things.  You will be minserable and in tears if you try this - trust me!   Walk away - no run away!
A t-shirt with my logo on the upper left chest and capri pants
I fall under the category or not charging enough.  I am slowly starting to charge more.  My issue more than anything is where I am located.  I am only 30-45 minutes outside of a large metroplex area but in an area that only a few and far between will pay what I think I should charge.  If I needed to do this to support my family, I could not do it.  Luckily, it is supplemental money.
I turn down orders all the time.  I have been in this business long enough to realize no one is worth cramming for.  And, it isn't fair to those who placed their orders well in advance for you to speed through their orders to get to a last minute one.   BUT, I never recommend someone else.  I don't feel comfortable recommend using someone that I have not had experience with or tasted their products.  I would feel bad if my customer had a bad experience with someone I...