Posts by allissweets

Well after reading several posts on here I suspect it is the PS I used. I bought two new bags, and tried two batches of BC icing (one with each bag) and BOTH came out gritty. This is the Sam's Club PS that I've been using for years. I've found it to be better than Domino's, but I guess I had to get my hands on a bad batch eventually. Oh well, good thing this cake is for my son's birthday - I'm not making a third batch, and it still tastes good, so we'll just have to...
Did you ever find a solution to your problem? I've just had the same thing occur - gritty BC icing. I've been decorating cakes for 5 years and have never had this happen. All new/fresh ingredients, just can't figure out why my icing is gritty!!!Can anyone offer suggestions? Thanks!
When y'all use the steam setting on your iron, does the fondant piece remain shiny? I saw a post on here that said it gives them shine when using steam...also saw this technique on cake boss, so I wanted to give it a try. Tried steaming some little fondant balls, but the shine went away after several minutes. Am I missing a step?
GenGen - I got this idea from one of tonedna's whimsical cakes. I just used a circle cut-out, and pinched one end to make each petal, and "glued" them on the cake with water and a brush!
Hee hee - that's because you can't see the BACK of the cake. I went out of my way to make sure the last part of my fondant covering was on the back of the cakes - it's awful! But the birthday girl loved it and didn't see the flaws, so that's all that matters.
Thanks so much to all of you! This was definitely NOT my finest work. I feel it could have been a lot cleaner, but I was just so happy that it didn't collapse! You are very kind and I appreciate the tips on how to improve it. Don't know when I'll ever try this again but it was good, fun, HARD work. I've never been completely consumed with cake work for four days straight before. My kids are 5, 3, and just turned 1 so doing this over the holidays was no easy feat. ...
Thanks! For the bottom tier I did 8-9-10. The middle tier I did three 8" that I carved down to about 6 1/2 on the bottom. I don't have odd size pans. Top tier the same thing - I carved three 6" tiers. I didn't want a huge slant in the tiers because it was my first time and I was SCARED! I mean, physically sick over this cake!
Thanks! For 4.5 pounds of MMF, I used two bottles of Wilton No-Taste Red and one bottle of Wilton Red-Red.
I spent days on this site reading one disaster story after another about whimsical cakes. But I spent even more time reading the oodles of helpful tips and hints, not to mention the tutorials and links to youtube videos that helped me prepare to make my first whimsical cake. So here it is. I learned a lot. I haven't made a cake this "elaborate" in a loooong time, and my fondant skills are poor and need much improvement. (I haven't covered a cake in fondant in at least...
I loooove this chocolate cake recipe! It's the only one I use. I've tweaked it a little bit. I really don't like coffee in any form added to my chocolate cake recipes - never found a recipe where I liked the outcome. So I replace the hot coffee with water. Instead of 1.5 cups cocoa, I use 3/4 cup cocoa + 3/4 cup Ghirardelli sweet ground chocolate and cocoa. This batter yields ~7.75 cups batter, which is about 45 cupcakes baked at 325 for 15 minutes. The cakes come...