Posts by Marci

It all depends on how you set up your tasting....I give them a wedge of white cake, yellow cake, and chocolate cake (red velvet or carrot if they have asked for them) and then I set out several ramekins of fillings - chocolate, strawberry, lemon, raspberry (and anything else they asked about) and then a ramekin of buttercream as the icing. Then I tell them to mix and match and come up with the cake, filling, and icing that they like the best. I do not make little cakes...
Use light corn syrup as a straight sub for glucose. Sorry, I don't know anything about MMF.
I am not sure. But, I would make some pieces and let them dry over night and then try it out. I would make sure my color wasn't too wet (usually you mix the gel color with a bit of water or vodka).Sorry... haven't tried it yet.Marci
I have not had my kitchen inspected yet (and I am in NC)... however, I know of a few things that they look for:thermometers in fridge and freezer (and proper temps)paper towels for hand dryingno indoor animals in houseproper storage of food (cooked food is above raw food in fridge, food that should be stored in fridge is in the fridge - not in cupboards)every thing is very cleanantibacterial hand soap at the sinkclean bathroomslight fixtures in kitchen can not have exposed...
Renting space in a commercial kitchen is a great way to go - if you can find one. I would start by calling local churches and restaurants and see if they are willing to let you in. I would plan on having my own insurance for the business, that way the kitchen doesn't have to worry about that. They will either charge you per hour or per job.Hope this helps...marci
It sounds like you are getting some good advice here... just remember to make sure you are getting enough for your time doing cakes for them. If they let you work in their kitchen for your business, you need to get some money for the cakes you do for them. If you spend 30 hours/week doing cakes for them and just get a few dollars... it isn't worth your time. This is a business deal... make sure you treat it as such. If they bring in all the supplies and equipment, they...
At work I have a commercial convection oven (actually 4 with 2 stacked on the other two) and when I am using a home recipe I lower the temperature 50 degrees, but usually the bake time is about the same - maybe a few minutes different. I use it on the lower fan setting(you must run the fan on either low or high with the commercial oven). The crust on the outside is a bit thicker, but I wrap and rest the cakes in the cooler and then they are fine to torte. They do dome,...
I only do tastings for people who are deciding on flavors for the wedding (or other large cake) that they have agreed to pay for. I never do a tasting of decorated cake. I just give them a wedge of white cake, yellow cake and chocolate cake (or some specific flavor) and 4 fillings and white and chocolate icing. If they don't trust your decorating ability then they aren't worth your time and effort. If they want a "sample" cake then they have to pay for it. I would...
I freeze all the time - I recommend that you wrap them while they are still warm. That way you trap in some of the moisture. Then cool on the counter or in the fridge. Then freeze. I just wrap in one layer of plastic.... but a complete layer (around all sides, top and bottom). Since it is only for a week, freezer burn should not be an issue at all.
If you have never worked with fondant, I would not make MMF as it takes some time.... I would buy a box from a craft store so you can play with it. If you want to do it in buttercream, I would recommend using a large icing tip to cover the blocks (I can't remember the tip number... but the big basket weave one that is about 2 inches across). Then you just smooth the icing a bit and it is covered.Hope this helps....