Posts by Marci

Make a 4" square, a 6" round and an 8" square (maybe a 10" square on the bottom for better spacing). You may have to cut a 6" square down, but if you use a ruler, it isn't hard. Or, you could make a bigger cake and charge more money.
If you are using wired flowers, you can twist the ends of the wires together into a full arrangement that you like and then just set it on the top of the cake, once it is set up on site. I would think you could use the same technique as you do with the roses as well. I also know that some people will make a small gum paste vase that the flowers are coming out of and set that on the top of the cake.Hope this helps,Marci
I have used metal bowls (stainless steel) too.... just spray VERY well and bake.
I have refrigerated it for about 2.5 weeks and have frozen it for much longer.
Usually I just push them slightly into the cake's icing, one by one (while wearing gloves so the chocolate doesn't melt in my hands). Are you doing it on the sides or top of the cake? If you use crusting buttercream, you will need to put the sticks against the buttercream before it crusts over. Is there a certain cake that you are trying to duplicate, so I can see a photo?
My granite slab is a countertop that a home renovation company removed from someone's home when they were remodeling a kitchen. You should call around some of the smaller companies and see if they would hold one for you, the next time they have to cut out some countertop. Although, it does weigh like 60 pounds - but I don't have to worry about using sugar that is too hot and it cracking.
Here in the US, I usually rent them from party supply places (where the brides gets her tables, chairs, linens, etc). Do they have those companies in Australia? They are usually silver plated and I have heard they are pretty expensive, so I haven't looked into buying them. I can rent for about $35 (US) for the weekend, so I just add that to the cost of the cake. Sorry I can't be more help.... marci
Here in the US, I usually rent them from party supply places (where the brides gets her tables, chairs, linens, etc). Do they have those companies in Australia? They are usually silver plated and I have heard they are pretty expensive, so I haven't looked into buying them. I can rent for about $35 (US) for the weekend, so I just add that to the cost of the cake. Sorry I can't be more help.... marci
Actually, I don't even apply spray. I just use the straight metal. Once you are done cooking the sugar to the proper temperature (I cook it dry, until it is just barely starting to boil and all the sugar crystals have COMPLETELY dissolved), put the bottom of the pan into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Then wait a few minutes for the sugar to thicken slightly. You should be able to get a nice "thread" falling off the spoon. If it drips, then it is too...
I have read several posts where someone has the opportunity to buy an established bakery. Where does someone find out about these businesses that are for sale? Reading it in the newspaper want ads? Just stopping by local businesses and asking if they want to sell? I have thought about someday opening my own... I already work 80 hours a week as a pastry chef... why not work for myself... but don't even know where to look.Thanks!Marci