Posts by Marci

Usually I will use vodka to paint it. Alcohol will evaporate faster than water and so your painting will dry more quickly. I will also use it as a glue to attach fondant/gum paste pieces together - again quicker drying is usually my friend.
If you have a cupcake stand or tiered cake stand, you may want to set it up so you can stack stuff on it to sell. The more grab and go (and eat while walking around) the better. I completely second the idea of having other people working the booth with you so you can meet and greet people without having to watch for sales. You may want to add bars like brownies and lemon bars and things like that. In the southern USA, that stuff flies out the racks - no idea about...
Once you have completed your pieces and they are out of the mold, you should spray them with lacquer (there is edible lacquer and inedible lacquer). You can get the edible kind from Albert Uster or Swiss Chalet, the inedible from craft stores. It protects the isomalt from the moisture in the air (I haven't tried the glucose thing). Then you should pack them in some type of closed container. You will want to make the pieces with in 2-3 days of using. Unfortunately,...
I use a straight butter and powdered sugar recipe - one pound of room temperature butter to one pound of powdered sugar with a splash of vanilla and maybe a touch of water if it seems too stiff. (to make chocolate, I add room temperature ganache or replace some powdered sugar with cocoa powder)I haven't had a problem with it getting too soft in the bag... although you do need to make sure you don't use it in an outdoor summer wedding or a room where the AC isn't working. ...
You could look at culinary schools in your area - some of them will offer a pastry program. You could also look at individual instructors who have their own schools, they will often have some accelerated classes. Nicholas Lodge and Eward Notter both come to mind. There is also a french pastry school in Chicago that has a program, if I remember correctly. Finally, I would look into ICES (international cake exploration society) - they will list all kinds of classes and...
It is really a question of your personal finances and how much you are willing to work. If you are going to open a shop - can you go several months to a year without making any money? Most people are surprised at how many scones and brownies and such they need to sell in order to just cover the cost of the rent and util. and ingredients. Are you both ok with not seeing either on the weekends when he is handing out cake samples? Have you updated your pricing to cover...
Often in my recipes, a torte is a cake that you don't cut into layers and fill. For example, a chocolate truffle torte is a flourless chocolate cake that bakes with a lip around the outer edge, then you fill the center with a whipped ganache and then coat the whole thing in a liquid ganache. Or my sacher torte is baked in many small separate layers that you just stack together after baking with apricot jam. I think it is one of those words that people pull out when they...
I am a bit late getting in on this thread.... but I had to mention... if you are using Isomalt, you may want to not use cotton gloves or bare hands. Instead use rubber gloves (latex, nitrile whatever) because the sweat that comes off your hands will get into the isomalt and cause it to dull and then melt more quickly.Even so sugar masters (like Edward Notter) wear gloves not because of the heat but because of the water.
I won't make them more than a few months ahead of time - they can get dusty if not stored properly and the dust doesn't always want to come off. As long as they stay dry, they will last for years.
I make a very simple buttercream.... 1 pound butter to 1 pound powdered sugar and then a touch of vanilla. If I am making a cake for sitting outside (I do a few kid's pool party cake a month in the summer) then I do 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. I hate the mouth feel of shortening so I don't use it if I don't have too. I never use a swiss or italian buttercream because I don't like to have egg whites sitting out at room temperature... food safety is very important to me.