Posts by Stitches

Perhaps you can show us how to make a profit (any which way for any amount of hours) from a $25.00 per hour kitchen?
Play around and do some math using that number as overhead. Keep in mind that over head number doesn't include your labor or insurance etc...   If you went at caking as a full time job $25. x 40 hours a week= that is $1000. per week in rent. Say you sell $2,000. in cakes per week. 1/2 your profits go to your rent, leaving you $1,000.       Can you generate 2,000 in sales?    $2,000. income                                                          -$1,000....
I think the foil cases keep the cake moister longer. But I also think they bake faster so you have to watch your baking time closer. If you under-bake them, they can get sticky moist sitting in the foil cups.
Great post K8
I don't recall the title of the thread, but there was a really good thread where a lot of us told our costs for vanilla and chocolate cakes....perhaps a search would bring that up for you.
Liz, how do you handle/package cookies that have buttercream on them?   I go the opposite way from everyone else. Because I sell wholesale I can't spend time decorating cookies so my main focus is taste before looks. I used a corn syrup glaze where I simply dunk my cookies into the glaze. Once that dries I pipe on simple royal designs. Costs on that kind of cookie runs about .20 cents tops, I do about 200 to 250 per day and I get around $1.50 per cookie.   Although I...
I disagree completely. No one will know that a moderator spoke to someone in private and coached them along. That has to happen at times because we can't see each others faces to understand what's kidding and what's not. There is no other way to prevent miss-understandings...........and what's so darn bad with trying to help people write/communicate better? One person see's it as policing and the other see's it as educating. But when done behind the scenes no one knows...
Yes, if your product cost you $5.00 in ingredients and it takes you 1 hour to make that item (You determine how much you need to be paid for that hour) say you need to make $15.00 per hour. You than add $15.00 labor & $15.00 ingredient costs (3X $5.00)...so your product wholesales for $30.00.   The important thing is you have to really know your labor. If it takes you a lot of time to make product, you should not consider selling wholesale as you won't be able to make...
Maybe somewhere in a post similar to ^^^ if the poster showed a laughing smiley we'd all understand the intent of the post. Instead, we are all left to wonder if that's joking or not. (NOT that I enjoy seeing those smiles all over the place, but using them does prevent miss-understandings.) So I flag that post as being argumentative...........and hopefully the moderator pm's the poster and tells them "I get that you were joking, but others might think it was...
If someone's feelings get hurt because they miss-interpreted a members response as hurtful...they should flag the post. Let the moderator read it and respond (briefly) to the op the moderators take of the situation. They pm the op and say "I disagree and think if you look at the response that upset you, you'd find x-member was not being intentionally mean. They were just being direct." Than the op's have to learn how to interpret answers too....because sometimes the...