Posts by BlakesCakes

I have the Wilton Tilt-N-Turn Ultra Turntable (the new model retails for $80--I used a 50% off Michaels coupon) and I love it for the times that I need to tilt a cake to decorate.   What I use most is a large lazy susan--mine is 18" across--that cost me about $10.  It turns very smoothly on it's ball bearing, it's heavy, and suits my needs well.   I had a "professional" Ateco turntable for about 10 mins.--no ball bearings, the top didn't lock to the base, and it...
I have to agree with AZ, cathy, and czar.    Sometimes, there's a need educate the client and to stand by the education.    It's really OK to say, "I'll only do that design using fondant.  Done in BC, neither of us will be happy with the results."  If the client doesn't like the answer, they can choose another design or another baker.   As for rolled buttercream................I find it tooth achingly sweet, greasy, gritty, and although it's self-healing with...
I hear your pain.    I'd liken it to her asking you to build a detailed scale model--without the kit because you'll need to size & cut all of the pieces out yourself--of the plane.  Most model makers spend WEEKS working on these types of things.   Mike McCarey of mikesamazingcakes.com specializes in these types of cakes.  He's also one of the friendliest people you'll ever meet.  I bet if you shot him an e-mail with some of the basics, his reply would be very...
Well, if both fondant pieces are fresh, water should always work just fine.  That's the accepted method.    If one of the pieces is very dry, then gum glue (tylose, gum tex, or cmc mixed with water till it looks like glue) will work much better.   A smear of royal icing can also work.   Rae
Color flow mix is "fortified" royal icing, so it, too, would work very well.    Pieces placed under a gooseneck lamp with a 60+ watt light bulb will dry very shiny.   Rae
Yes, ............BUT, those sugar sheets can be tough to cut if put on a crusting buttercream and..........they taste awful.   Personally, I'd cover the cake in fondant and write on that after it's dried a bit.   JMHO Rae
  Well, an all butter buttercream will be tougher to color because your butter most likely causes it to be yellowish to begin with--pink+yellow = peach and green+yellow=grey.  Your royal colors are bright because it starts out pure white.   Try adding a few dots of violet color to get it whiter and then add in your other colors.    If your BC has no powdered sugar in it--if it's just butter, sugar syrup, and egg whites-- it will probably never get "jewel" tone with the...
I really like   fond ant source .com   (separated because CC censors it)   Great prices, customer service, and shipping.  Use the code CAKECENTRAL at checkout and get an additional 10% discount.   Rae
Here you go:   http://icinginspirations.ca/product_info.php?products_id=1730   They do free shipping on Tuesdays.  I think it includes the cake stands, but I'm not sure.  Shoot Crissy an e-mail and I know that she'll be glad to help.   Rae
I think that tiny cake will be fine without supports or boards.  You're right that the baby can't be diving into a cake with rigid items in it.   I'd only do single layers, anyway, since it's a "waste" of cake--and the proportions would look fine for a miniature, but I think even as 2" tiers it should be OK.   Rae