Posts by rs3560

Figures it would be the one place I didn't look. I tried searching it on Google and got a million hits on everything but what I was looking for!  Thanks!
I've been doing cakes now for quite a few years.  I only took one cake decorating class and everything else I've learned (i.e., fondant, gumpaste, etc.) has been trial and error.  One thing that I cannot seem to find the answer to and that was not covered in the class I took was what to put in between tiers of a cake.  I make alot of fondant cakes and no matter what I put between the layers, the fondant from the bottom tier ALWAYS sticks to the cake circle of the top...
I usually use DH or BC. I stay away from Pillsbury though. All of my cakes are super moist as I put cellophane on them as soon as they come out of the oven to lock in the moisture, once they cool, I place them in the freezer until I'm ready to use them. I'll pull them out an hour or so before I need them so they are still semi-frozen in the middle so I'm able to handle the cakes without them falling apart. Hope that makes sense.
Awesome cake! I wouldn't have added anything else.
I forgot to add to my post I think your cake is awesome! My first cakes were horrible...pailed in comparison to yours. lol You have a natural talent, don't waste it...keep up the good work!!!
I've done plenty of wedding cakes where the bride requested something "tacky". My worst was putting a homer and marge simpson as the cake topper which in my opinion completely ruined the cake. However, it's the bride's day and if she wants a tacky cake topper, then so be it. It's not up to us to dictate who should get what. The girl merely wanted to show off her first cake (not cake topper) and clearly was proud of what she had accomplished and wanted to share it with...
I was asked to do a graduation cake for a woman's daughter who loves to draw. I'd love to do something extraordinary, but my mind is blank. Perhaps something with pencils, sketch paper, ??? Has anyone done something like this in the past or any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any and all advice. Thanks much!!!
We are truly our own worst critics! Last evening I had a cupcake wedding cake due. Well last week I was working so hard on making all of the gumpaste flowers to go on top of the cupcakes. I airbrushed half purple and the other half I left white. The purple flowers were going to go on the cupcakes that were frosted white and the white flowers on top of the ones airbrushed purple. They looked wonderful until I opened the boxes to look at them again a couple of hours...
Let me know if you have any questions.
I will try my best to explain it but I don't know how well I'll do. I used to do the dam around the bottom layer but that never worked for me. One day I was sifting through my drawer and saw my pampered chef grapefruit knife. For those of you who don't know, on one end it looks like a half moon seraded knife and the other end has a knife as well but it's straight. Anyway, on my bottom layer I take the half moon side and cut out a thin layer of the cake out (as deep as...