Ismalt Vinyl Molds Curling

Sugar Work By crystalstarr Updated 11 May 2011 , 6:20pm by BlakesCakes

crystalstarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalstarr Posted 11 May 2011 , 1:45am
post #1 of 4

Not sure if this has been asked before but my daughter is in dire straights.

She is using vinyl sheet she has cut for her isomalt molds and when she puts the hot isomalt into it it curls up and the sugar goes everywhere.

Does anyone have any hints on how to stop this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jamie Metz

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:47pm
post #2 of 4

How thick is the vinyl? You need stuff that's at least 1/4th inch thick--and even thicker is better.

I personally feel that casting is better done ON vinyl IN silicone, neoprene, or even in a play-doh mold.

Rae

crystalstarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalstarr Posted 11 May 2011 , 5:58pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

How thick is the vinyl? You need stuff that's at least 1/4th inch thick--and even thicker is better.

I personally feel that casting is better done ON vinyl IN silicone, neoprene, or even in a play-doh mold.

Rae

It is 1/4 inch vinyl. She has cut out her patterns in it and when she pours the isomalt in it the vinyl curls up in the center taking it away from the counter top and seeps sugar all over the place.

She is casting for her sugar arts final in college.

Jamie

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 May 2011 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 4

I'm guessing here, but perhaps too much of the vinyl has been cut away, so that the piece heats up very quickly. The parts beyond the cut out may need to be weighted down very well in order to keep it down.

Is she casting ON vinyl, too?? A piece of thick vinyl on top of a silpat helps to distribute the heat better.

Her isomalt may be too hot. It needs to be shocked after cooking and it can sit for a short time before pouring.

If this doesn't help, you're in LV and have a great resource in Chef Rubber. Give them a call.

Chef Rubber
6627 Schuster St.

Las Vegas, NV 89118

(702) 614-9350

[email protected]

HTH
Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%