Amoretti - Got It - Now How Do I Use It? Help!!

Baking By Peridot Updated 22 Mar 2009 , 12:39am by zoomzone

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:11pm
post #1 of 25

I received my Amoretti samples - a few - was not as lucky as some of you to get a lot.

Since this has to be meausred by weight how much do I use in a regular cake mix or in a single batch of IndyDebi's Buttercream. This is not easy like using Wilton flavorings.

Have any of you that have received your samples tried using what they sent you? I want to use the strawberry. I have the compound and the extract and from what I understand there is quite a difference. I would hate to have to toss this stuff because I am afraid to use it in fear that I will have overkill with the flavor.

On their site they talk about 10 pounds of batter - what is that in comparison to?

HELP SOMEONE PLEASE....

24 replies
Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:20pm
post #2 of 25

I have no idea since I'm pretty new here...but would love to know where you got the samples, if you don't mind sharing the info.

Thanks

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 25

I have no idea since I'm pretty new here...but would love to know where you got the samples, if you don't mind sharing the info.

Thanks

sportsmom005 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sportsmom005 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:21pm
post #4 of 25

I wish I could help, but here's a bump...

I got a ton of flavors I have no clue what to do with either. I don't have the great imagination that others on here have when it comes to creating recipes. Not intending to hijack your thread, but here's a list of what I got. If anyone can help me out with some ideas as far as what to do and how much to use, I'd appreciate it icon_biggrin.gif

Compounds:
Mimosa
Wild Strawberry
Pineapple
Raspberry Framboise
Cappucino-Tiramisu
Madagascar Bourbon Vanilla with Seeds

Extracts:
Orange Zest Oil
Raspberry
Basil Oil

Swirls:
Wild Strawberry
Passionfruit

Crema Di Kahlua Type Industrial Compound

Blanched Almond Flour

European Style Premium Blanched Almond Paste

Whew...guess I was one of the lucky ones!

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 25

I was told by the lady from Amoretti that you weigh your batter on a digital scale. An example she used was take 5lbs of batter and multiple that number to .03 percent of compound and you will get your amount of needed compound weight.
Example: 5x.03=0.15 of compound

tcakes65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcakes65 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 25

I'm in the same boat as you. I just received my samples this week, and I need to figure out exactly how to use them. The instructions don't provide a clear explanation. I guess you must be a trained chef to understand it. icon_lol.gif I was hoping to receive some extracts as I requested but mostly received compounds.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:32pm
post #7 of 25

I was trying to find the recipe that your talking about and only could fine one of Indydebi's and it didnt require amaretti. Now are we talking about amaretto? The liquor that tastes like almond or what? I know some of my recipes that require vanilla extract, I will substitute almond for especially with cherry cake. Its really good with cherry cake!
cmyoung5, the whole vanilla beans can be split in half and run your knife down them and put all this into a egg and milk mixture for making vanilla custard. You can also take the used beans and stick them into sugar and make vanilla sugar with them. The almond paste can be used to make marzipan with. Not sure of the compounds your talking about.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:35pm
post #8 of 25

Plum1 - I called Amoretti - check out the website for the toll free number and talk to customer service.

I am glad that I am not the only one in the same boat. What a pain to have to weigh your batter. I make enough of a mess in the kitchen the way it is and have enough dishes to do even with my DH's help. I don't think I would have requested the samples if I would have known this.
MCC - you are exactly right - the instructions don't provide much help. Wow .15 - pretty tiny amount - I would guess that is .15 oz.

Guess I will be going back to Wilton & Lorann at this rate.

tammy712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammy712 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:38pm
post #9 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirkd

I was trying to find the recipe that your talking about and only could fine one of Indydebi's and it didnt require amaretti. Now are we talking about amaretto? The liquor that tastes like almond or what? I know some of my recipes that require vanilla extract, I will substitute almond for especially with cherry cake. Its really good with cherry cake!
cmyoung5, the whole vanilla beans can be split in half and run your knife down them and put all this into a egg and milk mixture for making vanilla custard. You can also take the used beans and stick them into sugar and make vanilla sugar with them. The almond paste can be used to make marzipan with. Not sure of the compounds your talking about.

Macsmom introduced us to a web site called amoretti.com
if you contact them they will send you out samples of compounds, extracts, flour, etc.

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:39pm
post #10 of 25

I made strawberry shortcake, and the strawberries aren't in season yet. They are good, but now as good as they could be. We had eaten one container of the berries. I added about 1/4 t of the strawberry compound to the berries for the shortcake, and WOW! DH even commented about how much better these berries were than the ones we had eaten before. I'm still trying to decide how to decide how to use them too! I'm not sure if I'd rather try them in the cake, fillings, or buttercream. There really isn't enough of most of the samples to try more than once , at least I don't think there is.

e rose sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
e rose sweets Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:42pm
post #11 of 25

I am awaiting my samples. I noticed quite a few members aren't sure how to use them, it seems the people were super nice at amoretti has anyone tried to contact them and ask for info on how to use the samples? The rep I spoke with did say I could call her with any questions I may have. Good luck with you all's samples I can't wait for mine hopefully by then someone will have some answers as to how to use the samples.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:45pm
post #12 of 25

Thanks Tammy! I will check it out!
I know the almond flour some cookies will call for it....

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 7:48pm
post #13 of 25

I have tried the pistachio, passion fruit and raspberry compounds so far!

I made passion fruit mousse and pistachio cake. Very very good.

the raspberry mousse reminded us of cough syrup. Macsmom mentioned the same thing.

I have just been eyeballin and going by taste. I used about a tablespoon of the passion fruit in the mousse and 2 or 3 tsp of pistachio in the cake today, but I used pistachio pudding too. I am going to add some of the pistachio compound to the whipped toppping when I whip it up later.

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:35pm
post #14 of 25

OMG! I am such a feakin idiot! I called for the samples too. I got like 12 of them but had no idea what to do with them either... they just gave me quantities for 10 lbs of cake batter too so I wasn't sure what to do. anyway, I just made strawberry and pistachio cakes for my grandmother this weekend... did I try the compounds? NO! I even went to two stores looking for strawberry extract yesterday because I ran out and I had it right in the box!
ugh...

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 12 Mar 2009 , 9:44pm
post #15 of 25

I've been using mine to flavor fondant. I received about 40 samples, and so far I've used 3 icon_redface.gif . I've just been eyeballing my measurements, then tasting (which is what I do anyway...) and that seems to work out fine. I made the BEST raspberry vanilla fondant using the vanilla and raspberry compounds. I'd say I probably added 1/8 of a teaspoon of each to a batch of Michele Foster's fondant. It tasted amazing!

tcakes65 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 12:25pm
post #16 of 25

I made a marble cake the other day and flavored the yellow cake with the cappacino-tiramisu compound. It was fantastic!!! It complimented the chocolate swirled through the cake, and took the flavors up a notch. My clients raved about it, and ordered the cake for their upcoming wedding. The cappacino-tiramisu is a keeper for me. icon_lol.gif

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 4:19pm
post #17 of 25

MCC how much of the compound did you add in the yellow cake if you don't mind sharing.?

tcakes65 Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #18 of 25

I added approximately half of the sample jar, and it was a subtle flavor. My client has a pallette for this type of flavor and preferred it a little stronger. I could have used the entire sample jar for her cake, and this was just one batter that filled an 8" square pan.

Does anyone know the pricing of Amoretti's products? The product list I received did not include any prices. I'll call them if anyone does not have the info.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:21pm
post #19 of 25

I didn't receive any prices either. That's usually not a good sign!

clarmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clarmar Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 5:49pm
post #20 of 25

These flavors are yummy, some people like to add little by little until it tastes good to them and some others like precise instructions, that's me.
So, I wanted to make a banana tasting fondant. I used the Foster recipe.
I made only half of it. I converted 1 pound into grams (454) and multiplied by 5% which the compound recommends. = 22.7 grams. So i used my digital scale and weighted 22 g. I added this to a measuring 1/4 C and filled the rest with the syrup.
Does this make sense? A percent is a percent, if you have a greater quantity, lets say 5 pounds, convert to ounces 5x16 =80. x 5%=4 oz, so that's more or less what you have to add.
The compounds advise 3% to 5% so maybe you want to start with 3%.
I have pre-measured every container in my kitchen in case I need to weight whatever it contains . Just subtract it from the full weight.

cakesmade4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesmade4u Posted 17 Mar 2009 , 9:33pm
post #21 of 25

I was told a bottle not sure how much was in it but it runs 40.00 and they were in the process of making smaller bottles that would run 20.00 when I spoke to the lady over the phone that's what she told me. So I wonder if it would be worth it? Ive yet to try my 7 samples.. Some of my clients don't want to pay the extra amount...I may for my own prefrence though.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:52pm
post #22 of 25

I got my samples today and received pretty much the same as cmyoung5. I can't wait to try some! thumbs_up.gif
Anyone else try these???
Any more tips are appreciated!

stephaniescakenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephaniescakenj Posted 18 Mar 2009 , 11:56pm
post #23 of 25

this is directly from Amoretti

"The compounds come in a 2.2lb pack size. The pricing varies depending on the flavor. If you tell me the specific ones you are interested in I can give you the prices."

I don't know which ones I would want to try again yet, but MCC if you want to email them, this is the lady I've been dealing with. She's really nice.

Bryanna Torlai
Amoretti / Baristella / Capriccio
[email protected]>
451 Lombard Street
Oxnard, CA 93030
TEL: 805 983-2903 option 2
FAX: 805 604-0369
TOLL FREE: 800 266-7388
http://www.AMORETTI.com

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 19 Mar 2009 , 12:16am
post #24 of 25

Amoretti products vary greatly in their use-

Extracts- cake batters and powdered sugar type frostings
compounds - egg based buttercreams, custards mousses etc
swirls or glazes- cheesecakes mousse cakes etc.

you will use an extract just like your vanilla, creme bouquet etc.. and in similar quantities
compounds are very concentrated. they are designed not to change the water balance in things like ice cream, custard etc. We use about 5% the total weight- ie: if you make a buttercream with 1 lb butter and 2 lb sugar, you would add UP TO 2.4 oz of compound start at about 1.5 oz.

glazes and swirls are typically flavored coumpounds with vegetable gums etc. added to them to make them behave in a certain way: ie: swirls won't sink in cheesecake batter and glazes set a cuttable surface. They can be used in almost any quantity you like.

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 22 Mar 2009 , 12:39am
post #25 of 25

I used the wild strawberry compound today in my coconut bettercreme
and it was really tasty!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%